At 33 years old how much are you supposed to have in your Savings Account?

grymoire

I've got around 25-30k. Don't have access to all of it, as part of it is an IRA. I've actually lost a lot of money in it since I started it. Never thought I'd regret starting a retirement account.

I did it by joining the military- paid for my bachellor's, plus a bonus and a pretty nice paycheck when I was doing active duty training for 6 months. I have nice parents that helped me a bit through college (not like they paid my tuition). My grandma started some CDs for me when I was born. Also, I drive the same rusty old car I had in high school (hey, it runs) and I haven't bought a house yet. Pretty much no one knows how much I have saved up, except my bf & my sister. I know it looks like I have no money, since almost everyone I work with has a nice car but I don't care. I'd rather have the money.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's cool. I find that I save money easier if I have a savings acct at a NOT so easily accessed bank and I don't have an ATM card for that acct so all the banking has to be done AT that bank (and they don't have convenient hours

BTW, that's so cool you are a petsitter. When I lived in the Midwest I had a petsitter come in to check on the guinea pigs daily when I went on vacation or on business. They'd feed the pigs, play with them, and keep the cage clean. Petsitters are very necessary.

i started running the numbers of what i'd make if i lived in NYC and was a dog walker. the numbers were incredible. i shoudl move there and do it. it may take a little bit to gather enough clients, but i basically figured out i'd make about $8000 a month for working 4 hours a day. before taxes, of course.

oh man, that's great. i just remembered you have a huge house wiht like 5 bedrooms or something. that's incredible.

may i ask what your method for saving is? like a certain percentage each paycheck, etc? you don't have to answer if that's too personal.

He's got a whole system going with spreadsheets and stuff lol....Im too unorganized

After all the bills are paid, we take out money for the month which includes gas & food...then whatever is left over each month for our checks we put into the saving.

I have no idea what I have in 401K...hmm I should check

aww.. sorry to hear that Mutley... divorce always sucks...

may i know how you went about saving 15k?

Two income household makes it much easier.

Currently, one income, single father paying child support and student loan household. Ain't happening.

I'm just glad that I'm putting money away for my retirement and putting some money into my kids college funds.

My wife and I are 26. We have about $50k in home equity (maybe less with housing market crash ), about $5k in retirement fund, and about $35k in savings and gauranteed investments.

This is awesome actually.. 35k in savings, wow!

He's got a whole system going with spreadsheets and stuff lol....Im too unorganized

After all the bills are paid, we take out money for the month which includes gas & food...then whatever is left over each month for our checks we put into the saving.

I have no idea what I have in 401K...hmm I should check

Do you guys have "fun" money budgeted where you can go out and have fun and enjoy life too? Budgets are hard to keep to unless one has some "fun money" built in.

Do you guys have "fun" money budgeted where you can go out and have fun and enjoy life too? Budgets are hard to keep to unless one has some "fun money" built in.

Yeah that's our problem we spend WAY too much money on FUN. We are constantly doing things we probably shouldn't be, what is wrong with just staying home for 2 months? We cant seem to grasp that concept lol...concerning we need money for a wedding in 2 months, but that doesn't stop us lol.

Yeah that's our problem we spend WAY too much money on FUN. We are constantly doing things we probably shouldn't be, what is wrong with just staying home for 2 months? We can seem to grasp that concept lol...concerning we need money for a wedding in 2 months, but that doesn't stop us lol.

I know what you mean. I look at it this way, I work and need, at times, to relax and have fun, and then I use that excuse to justify the fun stuff I do (aka fencing and getting the requisite equipment, and playing WoW)

Yeah that's our problem we spend WAY too much money on FUN. We are constantly doing things we probably shouldn't be, what is wrong with just staying home for 2 months? We cant seem to grasp that concept lol...concerning we need money for a wedding in 2 months, but that doesn't stop us lol.

yea but i'd still say you're doing very well if you have $25K in savings.

I also spend a lot for FUN. I regularly go to concerts, movies... I buy lot of clothes, colognes, shoes, magazines etc. But my biggest negative point is I dine out a LOT. I NEVER cook at home. I spend a LOT on eating outside.

I know what you mean. I look at it this way, I work and need, at times, to relax and have fun, and then I use that excuse to justify the fun stuff I do (aka fencing and getting the requisite equipment, and playing WoW)

Yeah there has to be a good balance between work & play

yea but i'd still say you're doing very well if you have $25K in savings.

Only cause we put our money together...if I was alone I doubt I would have half of that, lol Im very bad with saving. So Im thankful he is good with money...

I also spend a lot for FUN. I regularly go to concerts, movies... I buy lot of clothes, colognes, shoes, magazines etc. But my biggest negative point is I dine out a LOT. I NEVER cook at home. I spend a LOT on eating outside.

Maybe you should start cooking at home grym. And secondly, cologne is really overrated. Seriously, I wish guys would wear less of it.

Maybe you should start cooking at home grym. And secondly, cologne is really overrated. Seriously, I wish guys would wear less of it.

Yea going out to eat all the time is bad if you want to save. We use to spend tons of money a month on food, going out. I learned to somewhat cook now lol & its a lot cheaper!

You could EASILY save up a nice sum if you're wasting money like that.

Yea if you are just trying to save pinch pennies where you can. Set aside money from each paycheck and open up an account with nice rates you should be fine. Once you get some good money saved up you can decide if you want to invest it.

agreed. i really dislike cologne on guys. it's expensive smell-weird stuff.

I am SERIOUSLY thinking of it greywolf. Cooking is fun - can save money and you can cook a healthy meal. Who knows what they use in restaurants.

Hey, I like a guy with a GOOD cologne.

The key is quantity, "less is more"

if you visit my apartment you will notice that i have 6 different colognes - 2 Gucci, 2 Kenneth Cole, 1 Banana Republic, and 1 Dissey Miyake. And this is after I threw out 4 colognes.

If you are able to save at least 10% of your income. In 2 years you can have at least 2 months worth of income on your savings acount.

Changing your spending habits..could easily cause you to find an extra monthly income a year in savings. Meaning in 2 years time..you can be sitting on 4 months worth of extra savings..and that's just from 1 income.

The key is not to budget...but to change your spending lifestyle. If you keep records of your current spending, day by day, a weekly status and a monthly. And do this for say 2 months..you will get a clear cut and amazing insight in where all of that hard earned money is going to.

It takes discipline, it takes cutting spending on credit cards, it takes getting a diet on buying stuff on credit or lay away. But it gets to be a sport instead of suffering.

Archived