When to follow up?

I applied for a contractor position two weeks ago. The company responded on Monday and requested that I send them three writing samples. I e-mailed them Tuesday morning; it is now Thursday afternoon and I have yet to hear from them again. The samples are among my best, well-written and error-free.

The company, in the e-mail, mentioned that they would call me for an interview as soon as the writing samples were reviewed.

Should I start to worry, or can I assume that maybe they haven't had a chance to look over the writing samples? When should I give them a ring?

I would give them a week to review, then just follow up with however you got a hold of them last time. If they requested the three writing samples via email, then email them. If they called you, call them.

What's more important though is that you continue your job search and assume you're not going to get a call back from them.

Good luck.

I might even wait two weeks--if it took them two weeks to contact you after your first interview, then it might take another two weeks for them to review your writings.

That said, did you put a confirmation on the e-mail so you know they got it? If you didn't, I wouldn't see anything wrong with giving them a call just to ask them if they received your information okay.

Archived