Telephone interview

Hi guys, ok, I was hoping to get a little help with this.

I finally, after 1 million bajillion applications, got myself an interview... a telephone interview though.. I don't really know what that means.. does that mean if I pass that i'll have another interview? I dunno... but anyway.

I havent had a phone interview before, let alone a phone interview in the United States.

Its for a part time job as a sales associate in a clothes store I love. However.. I am so nervous because I have no clue whatsoever what she is going to ask me.

She said it'll take around 15 minutes, nothing major.

So I guess that means these are pretty important quick questions to ween out some of the applications, and one wrong answer on my part is gonna make me go bye bye.. =(

Does anyone have any tiny weeny clue what they might ask me?

I've been googling till googlage has come out my eyeballs but I just don't know. Anyone with experience?

I really can't screw this up, I need this!

Thanks so much for any help.

xxx

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grrr,

A friend just got hired at Target. She said the phone interview was mostly about experience, hours, etc.

Then they told her to come in for the real interview.

She got hired, by phone, the next day!

OMG thats sooo strange, I just got told I have a telephone interview tomorrow as well, all though mine will be a bit more intense for 30min.

Some of it will be judging what sort of person you are and how good your communication skills. They will want a friendly person as you are needed to intereact with the customers. They may also ask you hypothetical situations for example. If you saw someone changing lables on clothes to get them cheaper what would you do. So be prepared for all kinds of questions like that.

But as I said before a lot of it is to see if your the kind of person they would get along with. So be friendly and confident then you can't go far wrong at this stage.

Oh god, trust me I have researched everything about this company, I can tell you anything you wanna know haha! Dya think thats enough?

Oooooh KG thats brilllll to hear, thats the kind of encouragement I need!

So ya reckon its really just an informal thing? to see if what they're offering suits me?

Dya think it would go against me if I mentioned that I worked in the store my mum owned for 5 years? I know its alot of experience, but it was 4 years ago and it was for my mum?

OMG thats sooo strange, I just got told I have a telephone interview tomorrow as well, all though mine will be a bit more intense for 30min.

Some of it will be judging what sort of person you are and how good your communication skills. They will want a friendly person as you are needed to intereact with the customers. They may also ask you hypothetical situations for example. If you saw someone changing lables on clothes to get them cheaper what would you do. So be prepared for all kinds of questions like that.

But as I said before a lot of it is to see if your the kind of person they would get along with. So be friendly and confident then you can't go far wrong at this stage.

Oh gosh, good luck with yours!!!

let me know how it goes!

ohhh, that bold part above, that is what i'm scared of! I'm poo at hypothetical questions!

Oh god, trust me I have researched everything about this company, I can tell you anything you wanna know haha! Dya think thats enough?

Oooooh KG thats brilllll to hear, thats the kind of encouragement I need!

So ya reckon its really just an informal thing? to see if what they're offering suits me?

Dya think it would go against me if I mentioned that I worked in the store my mum owned for 5 years? I know its alot of experience, but it was 4 years ago and it was for my mum?

Well if they ask for experience you can definitely say that job. But if your worried just don't say it was for your mum. And if you do, its still experience at the end of the day.

Oh gosh, good luck with yours!!!

let me know how it goes!

ohhh, that bold part above, that is what i'm scared of! I'm poo at hypothetical questions!

Lol 3rd post here already. Well as yours is only a 15min interview they might just skip that whole section out and save it for a real interview. Pretty sure it will be mainly seeing if your easy to get on with.

Thanks Jon

But just incase, what are some hypothetical questions they may ask? come on, let me have em' lol

I wish I knew lmao, all I know is the questions my gf was asked when she applied for a graduate management training scheme. And those would be completely different. Give me like 10min and I can see if I can maybe think some up they may ask lol.

1. If you saw someone shoplifting what would you do?
  2. What do you feel you have to offer the company?
  3. If you suspect a member of staff stealing from the tills what would you do?
  4. If you suspect a higher member of staff stealing e.g. your supervisor .....
  5. If a member of staff was away sick and it was your day off and we asked you to come in, what would you do?

Just silly things like that

P.S. you can thank me for this post hahahaha. Seriously though I really hope it goes well. And from what you said in your first post are you not American?

Noooo, I'm English .

I have to talk slow too, thats a big thing cos so many Americans tell me I talk way too fast lol.

Ahhh those are some good questions thanks!

If someone was shoplifting, I would chase and tackle them lol

Noooo, I'm English .

I have to talk slow too, thats a big thing cos so many Americans tell me I talk way too fast lol.

Ahhh those are some good questions thanks!

If someone was shoplifting, I would chase and tackle them lol

HAHAHA unfortunately that's probably a fail, most likely against the law.

And ahh English ... you will easily get through. Americans love English accents.

Thats what I was hoping (about the accent) unfortunately she's female so I cannot woo her lol.

Nar seriously, in all of those questions I dunno what I'd do.. thats something I need to think about alot cos I did think those would be the types of questions I get asked, wether it be on the phone or in the face to face interview.

So if someone was shoplifting.. would my answer be something like "I would approach them and ask them if they could please turn the goods over to me and if they do let them go, if they don't ask for security" or "call for security..." I dunno =(

Thats what I was hoping (about the accent) unfortunately she's female so I cannot woo her lol.

Nar seriously, in all of those questions I dunno what I'd do.. thats something I need to think about alot cos I did think those would be the types of questions I get asked, wether it be on the phone or in the face to face interview.

So if someone was shoplifting.. would my answer be something like "I would approach them and ask them if they could please turn the goods over to me and if they do let them go, if they don't ask for security" or "call for security..." I dunno =(

A: Call for security. You always want to give the answer that conforms to company policy.

They want to know if you can conform and not make waves and have the ability to handle people and situations in a manner that shows tact and skill. Whatever answer gives that impression is the answer they're looking for.

Be prepared with questions to ask at the end of the interview. Your last question should be "I'm very interested in the position. What are the next steps?"

When answering the questions, they want to see your thought process. For instance, if they ask you about a time when you faced a conflict, structure your answer by first staying the explaining the issue, then your actions, then the outcome.

If they ask about shoplifting, say that your first step would be to make yourself familiar with the company policy, then using good judgement of the situation to apply it.

They may also ask you how you keep informed on fashion trends.

With a phone interview its hard to crack jokes or make a personal connection. So just try to be very polite. Ask then how their day is going, thank them for taking the time to speak with you, say their name while speaking to them etc

Ask then how their day is going, thank them for taking the time to speak with you, say their name while speaking to them etc
Oh thank you that's the one thing I forgot ! Ahhh gotta find the name somewhere, now where's that email

But listen carefully to how they introduce themselves on the phone. If they give a first and last name, ask "may I call you Jennifer?".for example

Good luck! And ya I think you should talk about your experience in your moms store\ you don't have to mention that the store belonged to your mom but I also can't see that hurting your chances

Archived