Open Club  ·  38 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

JiMmIyZ

Jane Austen's book, Pride and Prejudice, is ment to be one of the worlds greatest piece of literature and yet i have noticed that it is incredably difficult to read (its boring) and i am not the only one to think so. Many other class mates are also finding it hard to read for the same reason.

Is there any reason as to why the modern teenager might find this book to hard to read while other books such as The Crucible by Arthur Miller not so hard.

And also, what is the reason that this book is classed as great as it is?

Jane Austen's book, Pride and Prejudice, is ment to be one of the worlds greatest piece of literature and yet i have noticed that it is incredably difficult to read (its boring) and i am not the only one to think so. Many other class mates are also finding it hard to read for the same reason.

Is there any reason as to why the modern teenager might find this book to hard to read while other books such as The Crucible by Arthur Miller not so hard.

And also, what is the reason that this book is classed as great as it is?

I'm a university graduate who majored in English Literature and I am still not a fan of Jane Austen! I agree with you - it is difficult to read, but despite this I find it quite boring.

For me, I think the big deal about Jane Austen is that she is a woman writer, writing about things relatable to women. Back in those days, it was very rare that women would even be allowed to write as a profession and get known for it. Jane Austen began a movement of writing for women, written by women, and also the movement of the "chick flick" kind of genre. Her books may be tedious to read and a little bit boring, but they do explore issues of morality, growing up, feminism, wealth, and social class. This is why I'd have to say why her works have become so popular amidst the canon of literature.

But, I'd have to agree with you! I think they are a little bit boring and P&P is definitely not what I'd dub as the world's greatest piece of literature!

It you're really struggling reading it because it's a little bit tedious, sparknotes is very handy as is Wikipedia (but never use them as your references!) or try watching the movie!

I'm a university graduate who majored in English Literature and I am still not a fan of Jane Austen!

A female Eng. Lit. major who's not keen on Jane Austen? I didn't think that was possible, hell must have frozen over when I wasn't looking.

A female Eng. Lit. major who's not keen on Jane Austen? I didn't think that was possible, hell must have frozen over when I wasn't looking.

Haha I know, right? My uni lecturers were quite surprised when I read the assigned Austen books and reported back with my opinion on them! They just don't appeal to me personally and I'm not one to follow the crowd

• 4 weeks later...

Austen is famous for writing the first "romantic comedy". She is also acredited for not only being a female novelist but one that dared to write a satire about class structure and society.

Sense and Sensibility, I enjoyed. I find that every book is pretty much exactly the same. I really disliked Pride and prejudice as the only funny character was the sarcastic father. I found the female character to be quite...well....stupid. She just believed what people told her and that's what created her biases. Also, I find her run on sentences extremely annoying.

Lastly, the character of the cousin that wanted to marry her...I forget his name. He was so annoying and talked too much. I understand that Jane Austen wanted to understand that he talked too much and was annoying, but to have pages going on and on of him just talking is abusive to your readers! I skipped quite a few pages.

• 2 weeks later...

I was incredibly lucky in that my introduction to Pride and Prejudice was having my mother read it to me when I was fourteen (fifteen years ago). She's a dedicated Austenophile, and so would explain the subtle witticisms and words/mannerisms/etc. that I didn't understand and really accent the humor. There I was at fourteen -- dying of giggles to Pride and Prejudice. I would never have found it that good on my own.

So I do have an appreciation for Jane Austen and her style. However, even as I've gotten older, I've never really done much reading of her on my own. A few years ago, my mother informed me via telephone that it was high time I read "Emma." So I read it, and enjoyed it, and it made me appreciate the movie "Clueless" quite a bit more. That's it, though.

(I think it's because I needed to rebel, and did so by becoming a fan of Russian literature - which my mom has no interest in - and rejecting Jane Austen as a potential favorite. My rebellions are generally pretty small in scope. )

• 4 weeks later...

I read Pride and Prejudice when I was really young and I remembered loving the book. I reread that book over and over again. Then I reread it again a couple of years ago, and it didn't seem as great as before. I still like Darcy a lot though.

I had to read Emma when I was OPs age. It made me want to set my copy on fire and use the flame to melt out my eyeballs.

Cannot for the life of me get into Austen's work at all. And I think the teacher of that class misjudged the potential class when she chose that text. Ended up being just me and 4 other guys.

i have a poem book written i think in the late 1800's that depicts a womans need to be a subservant woman. maureen by ellen.. wheeler... wilcox?

i like this book because it is unique to hear that side, when so many times you read the typical woman challenging those old outdated ideas.

its not that i dont agree that women should be equal. i can just appreciate the difference between whats oh so common and whats not really promoted.

Archived