Want to move out, feeling bad

Big Jim

Hi,

I am 24 and currently quite conflicted. I really want to move out and be on my own, I really feel that I need it. However, my mom died a couple years back and now my father is alone. I have a good relationship with him now, but we are very different and he is in his 70s. He is pretty isolated and I know he really enjoys having me around the house for both the company and to help out with chores etc. I really do not know what to do; I know a common response will be "it is your life you need to live it", and I understand that completely I am just really really confused... thanks

Living on your own is a huge and wonderful step, but missing out on the one's you love and not spending time whether you are different or a lot a like, might leave you with lots of regret. If you can find a way to manage moving out AND still being a good part of your father's life, i say go for it. If you feel that it will only leave him neglected...maybe you can wait a bit longer. You don't need to fill a void in his life, but don't cause moving out to make him feel void. With this economy...i WISH i still lived at home! Good luck!

Thanks for the quick replies, I really appreciate it! Very good suggestions. I have thought about that and perhaps that is the route to go. Money wise it makes sense to stick around home for a while longer, and by no means it is bad at home. It is just frustrating sometimes. Tough issues to consider lol, thank you for your suggestions

Archived