How do hospitals, banks, etc. conduct background checks?

Double J

Does anyone know?

I interviewed with a hospital recently for a corporate position and they're about to conduct a background check on me.

The interviewer said she'd contact my former/most recent supervisor.

Is there any way a company can obtain information on one's past work history other than by calling former supervisors and asking them about start/end dates, salary, etc.?

Can hospitals, banks and other high security places get your tax records from the IRS and find out where you worked/how much you made? Is that legally permissible?

I'd be great to get some HR professionals to weigh in, too.

Thanks.

I'm not in HR, but I've worked with HR in the hiring process at my current company.

Some companies have policies against saying anything about an employee beyond confirming whether or not they worked there and their job title (my employer is like that).

There are private contractors out there who can supply public domain knowledge such as police records, credit reports and so on. Not every company pays for a lot of detail, but it's best to not lie about past salaries and such just in case. I don't give exact amounts - I give ranges, for example. As for personal details about past work, that's why references are so important.

Yes they can request a security clearance. I'm pretty sure you need to be aware of it and sign on the dotted line, or so from my experience. They should also tell you what they will check ahead of time. Most common is education, criminal record, credit history and the such.

I wouldn't see why they would feel the need to check salary and start dates from an outside source, other than the company itself.

Archived