Is this a good job interview strategy? Please help

Double J

Hello everyone,

I was recently invited for a second interview at a great local company. It will take place in the coming week.

Amid the fierce competition out in the job market, I'm trying to find ways to better distinguish myself from other worthy candidates.

Here's one thing I have in mind, but I'd like feedback as to whether you think it's a good strategy, or if it can backfire on me:

I went on LinkedIn (networking site) and looked up the name of the second interviewer. For those of you who have never used the site --LinkedIn details the person's education/work history as listed by the person who set up the profile.

So I found out where she went to college and where she worked prior to coming to this company.

I think I can really stand out and show I've done my homework by injecting this into the conversation and asking her how her experience at the previous company was like/how that company differs from the current one.

In my view, this really shows initiative. I'm sure few, if any, of the other candidates will do the same. I'd be flattered if someone I was interviewing did this.

However, is it possible the person might get creeped out? I don't want the interviewer to think I've been stalking her. My aim is to show I was interested enough in learning about her background so as to incorporate it into the conversation.

I minored in Psychology in college and know that you can usually score points with people by showing interest in and commending them.

Has anyone done something like this before? Any comments welcome. Thanks.

I know that my wife did this in a recent interview that she had. I don't think she will be getting the job, but the interviewer was impressed and it furthered dialogue in the interview.

You can do that, but for me personally I would just do my own research on the company and really try to show my interest in the company by commenting on their products, stock prices, services, etc.

I think using your initiative and doing some research about the company's ethos and values, through their BELIEFS, VISION and MISSION STATEMENTS which every company worth their salt have, and possibly the companys history.

I personally think it would be preferable to finding out about one person who might be creeped out. I see nothing wrong with asking them where they worked and using that to keep the flow going but I certainly woudnt bring up the fact that I looked into their life and background as that person will be asking YOU those questions e.g. YOUR experience and how you could incorparate them in to THEIR company not the other way around.

Equality and diversity is a big issue that seems to appear in alot of interviews these days so you could do some homework on that.. e.g all ppl should be treated equally but recognised as individuals who posess different skills and qualities and whom all contribute to equally, teamwork etc.

Good Luck.

It depends how you do it, and in particular, it has to be genuinely relevant. You'll score points with genuine, contextual interest in someone, but you'll lose points if it comes accross as an obvious PR stunt. It's also important not to get too personal. I once had a candidate who decided to casually drop into the conversation, "oh, btw, I heard you grew up in so-and-so village; what was that like?", at which point I wondered if I should be calling security. By contrast, another candidate in a different interview said "I think you worked with Professor X for a while; I love his work, it must have been quite an experience. Did you ever talk with him about issue Y?", which was completely appropriate and showed a good grasp if the field and my professional background (which is relevant if she wants to work with me.

In short, keep it professional, contextual and genuine.

Archived