Is anyone here a Professor (Ph.D.) or has thought of becoming one?

Double J

I recently got laid off and it has led me to reevaluate my future plans.

For some reason, being a professor has sprung to mind. I love Marketing and would love to be able to teach the subject/do research in the field. I find myself drawn more to academia than applied research.

However, I know it requires a major commitment, both in terms of time and money. My biggest concern is that I'll get my degrees and end up not being able to find the job I want. It might force me to relocate and I'm not really interested in doing so.

Has anyone here confronted such an issue? How did it pan out for you?

Would getting a master's and teaching in a two year college be a better option, or does that have its hurdles too?

i'm getting a phd, but in science. i don't know much about marketing. i suggest you talk to your professors and find out what it takes to get a job. i know in the sciences, there are typically several hundreds of applications for 1 open assistant prof job. people without PhDs are generally not competitive, especially not at the big research institutions.

i definitely suggest you talk to your professors, and ask what it takes to be a professor of marketing at a big name school vs. a small liberal arts college.

I have a Ph.D. (in a liberal arts subject). By the time I had finished my Ph.D., I had discovered that academia really wasn't for me. Also, Ph.D.s in my part of the world are unfortunately ever more common, there is high competition for very few jobs, and you typically have to tolerate several years of working on a contract basis with no benefits, no holiday pay etc. before you can even hope to get a more stable job. Not good.

I left and went into something less prestigious but at least i now have a regular wage coming in.

I would think very hard about it. The grass is always dangerously greener on the other side, and a Ph.D. is a major commitment and a large expense. And you need to be very realistic about your chances of employment after you qualify. Admittedly, you may want to study a subject more practical than mine, but don't underestimate the value of a steady wage now and in the future.

After I got a PhD I could not find a research position in industry..that was something I had really wanted to do. I never wanted my own research lab in academia. I spent many years in low paying positions working for other researchers in academia and finally had enough and quit laboratory research. I am still involved in academia and in research but from an administrative standpoint. I am much happier this way. My career is going in a different direction but my PhD was worthwhile as it gives me more opportunities and respect as an equal with the researchers than I would have had without it.

I have two PhDs in different subjects, and have spent a while in academia in both areas (and occasionally a combination of the two). I agree with all of the points made by the previous points.

Academia is very badly paid (considering the amount of time spend training), and at the same time very highly competitive (there were over a hundred applicants for my current job, for example, all with PhDs). It's also hard work; you don't get to stop and go home at 5pm. In fact, when I put it like that, I wonder why anyone remains in academia!

The key upside is that you get to do what you want within reason (at least once you've reached a certain level), you can do something different and interesting every day, and you can discover things that nobody knew before. That's a rewarding experience. Still wish they paid me more, though!

Think hard before you do it. A PhD is a nice thing to have, but unless you're a top student on scholarships, it could be expensive. In terms of getting a job, there is a very high likelihood of having to relocate in order to a decent get one, or even one at all, so if you're not willing to relocate (and more than once, probably), then I'd seriously think twice about it.

There's a great listserv for people who've either started doctoral studies or completed them and are having difficulties finding tenured positions or have decided they want to work outside of academia. If you subscribe, you can go through the email archives to see what other people's experiences have been. It'll give you an idea of some of the challenges of getting a PhD. They also have email discussions with guest speakers from different career paths.

Here's the info:

"link removed is an international email discussion list on nonacademic careers for people with graduate education in Humanities, Education, and Social Science disciplines."

Many on the list are currently teaching and either realize they won't get tenure or have decided they're not happy as professors.

I'm in an MFA program and my original intention had been to get a terminal degree in the arts so I could become a professor. However, it's becoming more difficult to get anything other than adjunct positions with an MFA. Even for people with PhDs, there are very few openings and the competition is fierce. I have friends with MFAs and PhDs who were unable to get tenure track positions and had to pursue academic staff positions (like CAD) or find work outside academia. Or they have to teach 3-4 adjunct classes per semester at different schools, without benefits.

It's true that having a PhD will give you more respect if you get a staff position at a university. I had a research position at a top university and was often looked down upon, or not taken as seriously, by the faculty.

You might have better luck getting an MBA, with an emphasis in marketing, than a PhD.

As Cimmie points out, a PhD is a huge commitment in terms of time and money. I'd take Annie's advice and talk to professors or other people in your field to find out the job prospects for people with PhDs. It would help you to find out what skills/experience you'd need to become a professor in marketing.

Archived