Wanting to Day Trade

thouse

thouse,

I day trade for a living... this is not a market for people just starting to day trade, even if you know a thing or two about the markets... trust me, getting caught on the wrong side of a trade could cost you a week or a month of profits in 5 minutes. Example: I was trading ICE (Intercontinental exchange) on monday at the open. The market maker is on the bid right at the open, many follow. There was a HUGE offer at 86.50. Once that lifted, the UBS maket maket went high bid 87 for something like 50,000 shares. I saw soooo many buy orders fly in that it looked stupid (however, with UBS on your side, it made it a decent bet)... Once he filled a couple of hundered, he fulled the bid and offered his entire position... the stock was down almost 10 points in 15 seconds. If you were one of the people that bought, you couldn't even get out. There were just no bids and good luck offering when it spiking down. To put it in perspective, if you had 500 shares, you were out of the money $5 VERY quickly with no way out... If this sounds familiar to you, give it a shot, otherwise stay away. Also, you need A LOT of money to do this, and A LOT of margin. I trade for a prop desk where they give me pretty much unlimited capital. If you want to get a start, apply with a trading firm. Do not try this at home!!!!

but sorry to be so negative... i personally think that the market is completely oversold. you don't have to day trade to make money. If you find the bargains, you could make $500 to $1K a day with a pretty small stake... of course you have to remember to sell or cover when you get in the money.

but sorry to be so negative... i personally think that the market is completely oversold. you don't have to day trade to make money. If you find the bargains, you could make $500 to $1K a day with a pretty small stake... of course you have to remember to sell or cover when you get in the money.

Well that's is what I have been doing either using the ETF's that short such as SDS,DUG, or I have been just shorting certain stocks. I haven't been long in a while

What I really learn how to do is read the charts!!!! I have been trying to find something that will teach me, so that I can trade the charts.

INHO... charts don't really work right now. I mean the commodity stocks are trading below book value, this doesn't really happen. Charts are kind of broken... then again I trade the tape and rarely have a position overnight

but that's not to say that charts are not a great tool to know. I would check out "Master Swing Trader" and "Remminiscences of a Stock Operator"(the psychology of technicals)... both are pretty much required reading

I trade for a living... started day rading stocks in college about 10yrs ago.... know i trade commidites and currinces...

its a crazy world.. it took me about a yr. to get really good... a few things to make it as a trader

gotta be discplined, money mangement, risk mangement.. to stay in the game..

gotta have capital.. i would start with 50k an shout for 1-2%a day.. low risk/decent return...

I agree that most stocks are over-sold, however, i trade on the Australian Stock Market, so it's probably a different game. I also agree that technical analysis is out the window- you only have to see the correlation between current news items and share price movements to realise this.

For me, personally, i prefer swing trading. Tried day trading for a while, it was great, but i took too much out on margin and screwed myself. So, now, i play it safe.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived