Proper Breathing During Running

thouse

I want to start running, but I have never been able to get the breathing down so I have kind of stayed away from it. I need some breathing tips while running.

You know...just breathe naturally. Probably more important is to get a heart rate monitor so you know what your target should be...then use that to manage your run/workout. IMHO.

Happy running!

Breathe in with your mouth and release it through your nose. It gives you a bit more energy and you don't tire out as fast

I thought it was the opposite.

I find it tough to breathe in through my nose because my sinuses start to feel funny. So I take one breathe in through my nose, then one through my mouth. I definitely notice that I get a nice lung-full of air when I breathe in through my nose instead of my mouth.

Just breathe naturally. If you are just starting to run, you're probably going to suck it up and breathing will be difficult because your cardio vascular is out of shape. That will change and get better with time.

There's no magic bullet, and any weird type of breathing is just going to throw you off. Taking the first step to get running in the first place is your best next step.

And I'm not just talking the talk. My first marathon is Oct. 11. I started running about 3 years ago (5k's, 10k's, 1/2 marathon). I absolutely LOVE IT!

Just breathe naturally. If you are just starting to run, you're probably going to suck it up and breathing will be difficult because your cardio vascular is out of shape. That will change and get better with time.

There's no magic bullet, and any weird type of breathing is just going to throw you off. Taking the first step to get running in the first place is your best next step.

And I'm not just talking the talk. My first marathon is Oct. 11. I started running about 3 years ago (5k's, 10k's, 1/2 marathon). I absolutely LOVE IT!

link removed has been helpful and I have decided to follow the couch 2 5k program, but I want to do it on the treadmill, so it's not to tough on my joints. The people on that forum prefer outside running but it's just too hot here for that now. Now my biggest fear is when winter comes and I run outside I won't be able to do it, because I have become accustomed to treadmill running.

link removed is a great place to get into this. That's where I got my marathon training schedule.

I use a treadmill quite a bit because it saves wear and tear on my legs. I do just fine outside when I go..just a little different because of the hills. You'll do fine! Good luck!

Archived