Old man in the woods

ryan123

Disclaimer: I am not a poet nor do I ever write poetry...

This has been something ive been thinking about doing since i was inspired in March of 08...Its about a man(my friends grandfather) and his late wife who was taken away early by cancer. They were really nice people and i thought I owed it to them to write something to remember them by.

snowy street, suffering cold

this thirty by twelve cabin cell calls

memories made mingling, haunting

alone you sit, to die

pain penetrating pillows

you sleep an angry man, bitter

at this hell you must go at alone

hands hurting, back breaking, cackling cancer

hysteria filled, hollow head

do you see her at night like you say

does she call for you waiting

waiting, waiting for what

for death to come whisk you away

intertwined with your other half

go now old man, shes waiting

culling cries concentrated

i wouldn't blame you if you left

• Like 1

wow -- vivid imagery, ryan! the alliteration contributes a lot of power.

it's also very sad -- filled with pain and bitterness. i don't know if that's what you were going for -- more 'escape from torment' than 'release into the arms of a waiting loved one'

are you planning to give it to the family?

i originally wanted to make it all alliteration but that would have been too hard and too thought involved. i really just threw this together this morning.

i wanted it dark. its about a dark subject. its matter should be dark. i think anyways.

i dont know. i think that theyd think im weird. i really only wrote it to remember all that theyve done for me..but maybe thats not a bad idea.

thank you for those compliments though.

Disclaimer: I am not a poet nor do I ever write poetry...

Well, now you are, and now you do!

This is solidly good, ryan! It's really raw and I like that.

And it's also just a wonderful thing for you to remember him/them this way. I would be really happy in the afterlife knowing a kid liked me this much, to write me an ode.

Well, now you are, and now you do!

This is solidly good, ryan! It's really raw and I like that.

And it's also just a wonderful thing for you to remember him/them this way. I would be really happy in the afterlife knowing a kid liked me this much, to write me an ode.

Thank you!

Kindness isn't something that you find everyday from someone, let alone a stranger. They were always smiley and family oriented people. And theres something you got to admire about a couple who married at 14 and stayed together until the end. Faithfully. Seeing that broken man after she was gone was sad. Hearing him tell me that she lifts him up at night and talks to him in his dreams was sad. Yet beautiful. Very beautiful. I couldn't help but think he was crazy...But heck i'd be the same way...I wouldn't want to accept that my wife of 50+years is forever gone.