How many of you make over 100K and *hate* your jobs?

kd425

kd -

whatcha doing this weekend? (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

All kidding aside, it is hard not feeling fulfilled, but be careful, the grass really does look greener on the other side of the fence but it may not be.

Money has no influence on long term happiness but it sure can keep some of those anxiety causing life situations at bay. Use your situation to buy you the someday you want.

Identify if this is a long term or short term dislike for your field. Once you're sure its long term, then consider what you want to do. Consider a future image of yourself that is happy, and think about why that is.. does the person have a different job, a family, does he work at all? Also consider retirement, because as much as people can say "money doens't buy happiness", a lack of money for retirement is a big ticket to misery.

If you don't like your industry, GTFO and make room for the younger guys and girls that DO like it and are trying to get ahead. You're sitting there occupying a job you hate, pulling in all that money, while awesome junior and intermediate devs have their heads crushed against the ceiling. I'm a dev and I love my job. I make good money, but not over 100g.. and the difference happens to be the difference between any future kids being raised by my wife and me, or being raised by daycare.

I don't really mean the jerk answer.. just being devil's advocate I suppose

I make over 100k and I'm not in love with my job but neither do I hate it (I also do what you do.)

However, I know I would enjoy something else so I go to school part time in the evening to get my MBA to change professions.

However, I am also 28 so I still have time to make the change.

I understand the dilemma of golden handcuffs (especially if you have stocks and options) and how the stuff we actually do enjoy doing would mean a significant pay cut. thereforeee, to compensate for that, I do the stuff I truly enjoy during off hours and weekends.

Hardcharger - You're absolutely right. I live in a major city in the East Coast and with my salary it's still chump change.

I make over 100k and I'm not in love with my job but neither do I hate it (I also do what you do.)

However, I know I would enjoy something else so I go to school part time in the evening to get my MBA to change professions.

However, I am also 28 so I still have time to make the change.

I understand the dilemma of golden handcuffs (especially if you have stocks and options) and how the stuff we actually do enjoy doing would mean a significant pay cut. thereforeee, to compensate for that, I do the stuff I truly enjoy during off hours and weekends.

Hardcharger - You're absolutely right. I live in a major city in the East Coast and with my salary it's still chump change.

What kinda of work do you do?

Poloplayer is correct. I am a software engineer.

YAH! I know plenty of software engineers on the east coast, and I have a few which develop for me. My impression is that it is a good job, comfortable, pays well, good benefits, etc., but I have not met many happy ones, meaning, happy in there careers. Turnover seems to be quite high, but I'm not too sure why - doesn't seem company or industry specific to me. Have you experienced or witnessed this BetterKarma? If so, why do you think that's the case? Or why are you feeling a little flat in this role?

your thinking super resembles mine. cheers to that. let's hope everything falls according to the plan.

My parents are this way, so I think alike. They're one of those millionaires next door types. Nothing fancy in my family. Sure a nice home to raise a family, good vacations as my parents enjoy to travel around the world, nice clothes for the kids, etc., but nothing extravagent in terms of lifestyle. No luxury or sports cars, no high-end designer labels, no big screen T.V.'s, etc. They can purchase those things if they wanted to, but they ended up purchasing commercial properties instead and are landlords and business owners - you have a lot of leeway in what you can do in life with this route, and there are many other sources of income to supplement your salary and provide comfort and security.

They ended up being millionaires in there 30s, doing blue coller work, and at that point my mom stopped working to raise us kids. Had enough money to raise kids, send them through college and professional school, support there dreams, etc., with no worries about costs (within reason) and no need for loans. I'll be doing the same with my family and my children one day.

Nothing in IT interests me at all. No, btw, I'm not in consultaing. I was regular emp at MSFT and am a regular emp at the company I'm at now. Regardless, I bored to death of writing code and managing project schedules and anything and everything IT related.

I'd be happier tending bar and teaching climbing and building boats... well, except I'd have no money.

Same here. Granted, I have little experience compared to many people out there in the IT realm, but after 5 or so years of combined intern and professional experience, I have come to the conclusion that IT sucks. Period.

Like you, I too was responsible for maintaining deadlines, writing code all day and night, and half the time, it's never good enough. I used to LOVE making websites and dabbling in all that crap, but nowadays, people (corporate a$$holes) keep pushing and pushing and pushing until you go to bed at night thinking about life in object-oriented!

I HATE COMPUTERS! But more importantly, I hate the corporate world.

It all depends on where you live and the lifestyle that you want. Personally, I think 100k is ample, and I live in one of the largest cities in the world.

But then I know people who make well over 200k and live paycheck to paycheck. Learn personal finance and forget the keeping up with the Jones' stuff - it's wasteful.

Hmmm... Wait a minute... My last post was meant to convey that comfort = happiness. In that, I didn't mean to convey that I was someone who believes that comfort can only be obtained by the amount of financial success one has.

I just simply meant that comfort (to me) is equivalent to happiness in that it represents minimal stress, low worries and genuine comfort or contentment as contentment isn't always something you should fight off, ya know?

If your goal is to rough-it and backpack everywhere, then more power to ya. If you feel your route is via yacht, then more power to ya. Whatever highway you choose though, if your comfortable with it, then you should be happy with it as comfort means that your not UN-comfortable.

If I were that cynical that I believed that having $ would presumably attract the wrong kind of friends then I don't see how I could form a close relationship with another person -platonic or otherwise - in the first place.

I don't like when people are overly flashy but flashy people don't always have $. Sometimes they're just flashy. On the other hand, having $ doesn't mean it's broadcast to the world whether in how you dress or act.

I don't like when people are overly flashy but flashy people don't always have $. Sometimes they're just flashy. On the other hand, having $ doesn't mean it's broadcast to the world whether in how you dress or act.

Old money vs. new money; class vs. trash. I see the distinction pretty clearly among people.

Old money vs. new money; class vs. trash. I see the distinction pretty clearly among people.

I don't think I can generalize to that extent. I do agree that there are people who have class- meaning, their goal is to establish rapport with all sorts of people - to make all sorts of people feel comfortable in their own skin no matter what they do for a living or how much they make - but I think the old money/new money distinction is mostly a myth.

Old money tends to have class to them and are not overtly flashy. Paris Hilton, among some others, are exceptions to this. Many new money people I know are quick to pick up 'status icons' to quick to point out that they are successful. It's like they are trying to hard and lost all the elegance in the process.

Perhaps you're right...it's more class v. trash than old money v. new money that can be distinguished.

Old money tends to have class to them and are not overtly flashy. Paris Hilton, among some others, are exceptions to this. Many new money people I know are quick to pick up 'status icons' to quick to point out that they are successful. It's like they are trying to hard and lost all the elegance in the process.

Perhaps you're right...it's more class v. trash than old money v. new money that can be distinguished.

I have heard of that stereotype but haven't seen that happen in practice other than stereotypes perpetuated on the media.

Archived