Vaginal Birth vs. C-Section

Sunshine311

I dont' think doctors will give a C-section without a good medical reason. It is very invasive and much longer recovery and you end up with a scar. You don't want that unless there is a good reason why you can't deliver vaginally.

I've heard of women to be induced to make a vacation, c-sections for the shape of babies head, to not breast feeding because it makes the breasts sag.

A doctor will do it to make a patient happy, if not, the mother-to-be can find someone else who will.

They do actually. I know in my city there are hospitals that are renowned for very high rates of c-section and it is well known in the "medical world" that this is due to electives.

I remember reading not long ago that c-sections in the US outstrip all other first world countries 2 to 1 (Australia is catching up fast) and it is not because there are 2 to 1 more pregnancy complications in the US, it is because of patient electives.

This must be fairly new because it was frowned upon by many doctors in the past.

It is sad if this is becoming a trend because it is so much harder to heal with a c-section and even tho scars are much smaller you still end up with one whereas vaginal deliveries heal fast and without as much pain.

I've heard of women to be induced to make a vacation, c-sections for the shape of babies head, to not breast feeding because it makes the breasts sag.

A doctor will do it to make a patient happy, if not, the mother-to-be can find someone else who will.

I find that to be a sad state of affairs!

As with any surgery c-sections carry the risk of infection, tearing or rupturing of the uterus (either post op or with a subsequent pregnancy) blood clots to the legs or lungs (which can be fatal), respiratory infections in mom (pnuemonia, from not taking deep enough breaths post op because of abdominal pain,) constipation, respiratory distress of baby after birth (the vaginal canal squeezes the fluid in a baby's lungs out and helps open the airways to breath, with a c section babies are born 'wetter' and have more trouble breathing.), longer, slower recovery time, increased pain, decreased ability to move about and carry/push things, and more.

We have a patient on my unit at the hospital right now who is 5 weeks out post c section and she has a uterine abscess (post op infection) and is very sick. She is the second one this month. (and we don't even do L&D at my hospital, these are outside transfers.)

The vagina is indeed a very elastic and powerful organ made just for delivery of a baby and it does go back down to size, even more quickly if mom is fit and does kegals before and during pregnancy. Vag. deliveries are better for most babies because it 'wrings out their lungs' and helps facilitate breathing upon birth.

It's a personal choice, but I do not recommend elective c-sections as they definitely have increased risks over vaginal births.

Wow, thanks for all the great posts everyone. Sounds like the natural way isn't so bad after all.

To be perfectly honest I got myself freaked out a few weeks ago when I stumbled upon some sort of birth forum where I'm sure that every mother who ever had complications or horror stories gathered, because all their posts scared the bejeezes out of me! Women were writing about no longer being able to hold their bladder, there pelvic floor basically 'falling away', their vagina was torn and stitched and now they cannot have sex without it being extremely painful, etc. Seriously, this forum must have been where all the problem cases went to talk because they all had horror stories!

By listening to you guys, sounds like they were the exceptions to the norm. Unless some very compelling information should come my way, I'm going to chose the natural vaginal way barring any medical reason not to. Seems the vagina has a way better chance of returning to normal than my stomach would.

PS. Regarding the tummy tuck subject....I wouldn't be so critical of the poster who mentioned that. Once I'm done having my children I have full intentions of having a tummy tuck and a boob job (if needed). I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Sure I'm a mother, but I still want to be a sexy woman and look good for myself and my husband. Just because I'm now a mother, I'm not going to forget that I am still a lover and a wife too.

Oh I am definitely having a tummy tuck done once i'm done having kids! wasn't being critical of the surgery itself I was just saying that after birth (since i'm not sure where she was going for that?) it's the last thing you need to be worried about.

Like I said, I had a horror story of a delivery with the tearing, big baby, etc.. But now 3 years later I have no problems because of that. I have no problem with my bladder (problems come with age anyway..), no problem being "loose". The only real "complication" I have from my delivery is from where I tore for awhile after I couldn't have sex in certain positions because it did hurt but think about it, you have a csection you are guaranteed to have an incision and be sore, etc afterwards.. With a vaginal birth you can give birth without any tearing, cuts, incisions.

Pregnancy and birth is a scary thing, especially if you've never been there and reading things on the internet make it so much worse.. Been there done that I scared myself so badly when I was pregnant by reading things on the net that I just completely avoided it until after I gave birth.

To be perfectly honest I got myself freaked out a few weeks ago when I stumbled upon some sort of birth forum where I'm sure that every mother who ever had complications or horror stories gathered, because all their posts scared the bejeezes out of me!

For every birth (even to the same mother) there is a different birth story.

Its your first baby. DONT be scared. It got in, its coming out. Your body will give birth to your baby, it knows what to do. It will push your baby out regardless of any help you give it (and you can help it, by staying upright rather than lying on a bed) try walking around, and as you feel the contractions coming start to either walk (as fast as you can) which stretches out the muscles or try a 'tens' machine which are good.

The previous post which says you wont remember the pain is right. If every woman who ever gave birth remembered we would all be only children!

Shorten your labour by staying upright as long as you can, thats my best advice. This isnt always possible if your hooked up to machines to monitor the baby's heartbeat, but enquire if this is really necessary because sometimes its not.

THE FOLLOWING IS HOW I REMEMBER IT DESCRIBED IN DOROTHY EINONS BOOK

Understanding what is happening to your body and what your body is doing stops the panic (which sometimes it is panic when you think there is no end to it, or you cant see an end in sight)

Your body is a marvellous machine. As I said before, it will give birth to your baby by itself but you can help it. Read as much as you can, I read a great book by Dorothy Einon which (if my memory serves me correctly) told me there were about 300 or so contractions to each birth, but they ARE NOT all of the same intensity.

Early labour takes care of the majority of these as they build in intensity. The middle stages of labour use about 20-30 of moderate pain (by moderate I mean think of cramp in your foot or some other cramp you may have experienced and been unable to 'uncramp' until it went off after about a minute to 2 minutes. This is the part where I found it better to be upright and be able to walk quickly to stretch out the muscles with long strides.

The late stage of labour is where the womb (which is a large muscle) pushes down so hard the baby is expelled from the womb and forced down the birth canal. You need to be in your birth position for this.

This is the most intensive part of the labour. The muscle (the womb) is actually contracting at the top of the tummy but you feel the pain at the bottom as its literally pulling open the neck of the womb in order to push the baby through (which it will automatically do when its 10cm dilated).

There are about 15-20 very intense contractions for this part of the labour coming very quickly together. It is this part of labour that people talk about the pain of childbirth.

If your having gas & air make sure you start taking it as soon as you feel the contraction begin. it will take the top off it but take courage because you know at this stage you are close to the end and having a little baby in your arms.

When you feel the urge to 'bear down' this is literally your body taking over. At this stage, it doesnt matter what your doing your body is giving birth and it will all happen in a couple of minutes and the baby's head will crown. At this point, if you have elected to have an episiotomy it will be performed if necessary and if it is you WONT feel it, if not you will probably slightly tear but this is normal and again, you WONT feel it. With the next contaction the body will be born.

I was scared having my first baby because of all the stories i was hearing and not knowing what to expect, but honestly, it wasnt that bad because I had another!

Just listen to your midwife. she has done it all before. Dont be afraid. you will see your body in a different light! its so clever..everything that is happening is absolutely NATURAL and NORMAL.

If there is any doubt at any time your midwife or doctor will inform you and tell you if they think you need a c-section (if the baby's heartbeat falls or the baby seems distressed or whatever).

your going to have something lovely at the end and you wont remember the pain, you will be too happy snuggling and cuddling your baby, feeling proud of yourself, and in awe of being a MUMMY!

childbirth is a wonderful thing..

I guess I'm one of the shallow evil women who doesn't deserve to have children- because I went to several consultations with doctors before I was even pregnant to find one that would give me an elective c-section. I posted my reasons for doing so here (in another thread from the past on this topic)

I was terrifed to give birth due to my petite size and a family history of very large babies. I was especially concerned about "shoulder dystocia". Essentially I would not even get pregnant until I found a doctor through consultation who would let me have an elective c-section. My son is almost 10 months old now, and I am very happy with my choice.No regrets. He was almost 10 pounds at birth and my doctor agrees that I made a wise choice, since a vaginal birth probably would have been a long terrible ordeal for both of us, which would have probably ended up in an emergency c-section or a very bad tear. My c-section was a breeze and so was the recovery. When I think back on his birth the whole thing was a very positive experience. I had him in 10 minutes. I did not feel a thing- not even pressure. I was walking around and showering the very next day. I was vacuuming one week later. I had no problem caring for him. I am glad I trusted my instincts. When it comes down to it that is all that matters and don't worry if others judge you. Its your body. It's important that you feel comfortable with whatever you decide on for your birth plan.

The incision they made was a "bikini cut" it's about 4.5 inches long and barely even visible now since I put Vitamin E oil on it every day. My son did not have any breathing problems at all. Complications with c-sections are rare. With any surgery there is a risk but it was one I was willing to take. I'd have a c-section again in a heartbeat. I do think a planned c-section would be a much better experience than an emergency c-section. I would imagine that if you were planning on having a vaginal delivery and put a lot of effort into it, and it did not work out- that a c-section could be a bad experience. But for me vaginal birth simply was not an option/consideration from the start so my c-section was a positive experience.

BellaDonna

Here's the article if you guys have an interest:

link removed

(I think that's it)

LOL!!

Bella - I don't think yours fits into the too posh to push category. Sounds like you really felt (and so did your Dr afterward) that you had a pretty good medical reason for your decision.

Besides, who cares? Who are we to care what someone's reasons for doing something is? If people want to pay for the surgery, its not harmful for the baby (I realise this is debated rite now...) and Drs are willing to do it....

.... who cares.

LOL!!

Bella - I don't think yours fits into the too posh to push category. Sounds like you really felt (and so did your Dr afterward) that you had a pretty good medical reason for your decision.

Besides, who cares? Who are we to care what someone's reasons for doing something is? If people want to pay for the surgery, its not harmful for the baby (I realise this is debated rite now...) and Drs are willing to do it....

.... who cares.

Pay for it? What do you mean? If a C-Section is by choice, then you have to pay for it?

LOL!!

I agree.. You weren't doing it because you wanted to keep down there "pretty" or because you wanted your babies head to be just perfect you did it because you had concerns about the size and complications.

Of course you have to pay for it and it's alot more expensive than natural delivery. What did you expect? You pay for it whether it's by choice or not.

What? No way. I can see it if it's by choice, but if it's emergency surgery then why in the world would you have to pay for it?

My c-section was totally elective and I did not have to pay for it. My insurance covered it 100% just like they would have if it were a vaginal delivery. I highly doubt that my doctor put on the claim form "c-section by patient choice" or whatnot....I'm sure she found a "reason" to document so that the claim would get paid with no questions asked.

What? No way. I can see it if it's by choice, but if it's emergency surgery then why in the world would you have to pay for it?

OOHHHHHHH wait a minute....I get it. You guys are from the States aren't you?? Now it makes sense. I'm from Canada where our Health Care system is different and we do not pay for medical services.

Either you pay or your insurance pays. If you have medicaid/state aid more often than not it won't pay for it unless it's an emergency.

OK that's it then. You must be from the States. If I may gloat just a bit...Canada's health care system rocks compared to the states!!

Yes, i'm from the States however, the health system rocking/sucking only depends on how you look at it. Each has it flaw.

As tempting as it is...I'm not going to go there.

But the difference in where we live was where the miscommunication came from over paying for the surgery. If I were to have to pay for it my decision would have been made right then and there! LOL

I had a c section in January.... I had always said I would PREFER a c section (for many reasons) but I knew here in Canada it wasnt elective so I knew I had no choice.

Once I was overdue I started freaking out about giving birth.. I was so scared.. so when I went to the doc for my 40 week 3 day appt I asked if I could request one.. .my doctor told me NO.. when I finally went into labour two days later I went to the hospital after 13 hours of labour at home.. my doctor informed me my birth canal was very narrow and the baby was going to be big, so if I wanted I could go through a LONG and hard labour that may result in a c section, or just have the c section within the hour.. we choose the c section... it was the best decision we ever made...

I was kinda freaked out during the surgery because I had seen many on tv and basically knew what they were doing just by the tugging I felt.. now that night and the next day I felt HORRIBLE! When you get up and walk you feel so much better the next day.. I was lucky and my husband was with me but I know I couldnt have taken care of my daughter if it was just me in the hospital.. I spent 3 nights in the hospital and by the time I got home I felt great.. I had to walk slow for awhile but it was just the first two days in the hospital that were killer...

Im very happy that now with my next baby we will know we can plan a c section!

• 4 years later...

I've had a csection, hurt a few weeks and then was fine. No kegals or vaginal tearing. My twin sister had a vaginal birth and hasn't been able to have sex for 4 months due to the injury and has incontenice issues- go for the csection!

Archived