Finally got a job but for less pay. Was I wise in my negotiating tactics?

I recently landed a job after searching for 5-6 months (graduated in December). Unlike many people out there, I can't complain that no opportunities came up until now. I turned down 5 offers before this one came along, all for different reasons.

First one - sister's brother worked at company, wanted to avoid family drama (also wanted to explore what was out there more since it was at the beginning of my search)

Second - Great offer and company, but they failed to inform me in advance that it would require considerable travel every 2 months.

Third - My sister worked at the company previously and said the box there was unbearable. I also accepted offer #4 over this one as it came around the same time and paid better

Fourth - Best paying opportunity, but after 4 days on the job I resigned. They misled me into thinking it was related to my field when it really wasn't. It also had a very girly atmosphere to it (I was the only guy out of about 25 people) and it made me feel somewhat strange.

Fifth - Another "toxic boss" case. Found blogs online from people who worked there and said they were literally "in hell" and couldn't stand it there. The boss also expected people to come in at 7am and work 60+ hrs per week. Mind you, this is an entry-level position.

The last offer came 2 months ago, so you can imagine how frustrating it has been to search and wait for so long. When this one asked for a salary range I gave a broad one ($10,000 range). Unfortunately, they low-balled me and offered me the lowest possible amount. I told them I wanted to negotiate for at least 2-3k more and they agreed to pay 2k.

I was fortunate to get more, but I'm sure the company knew they were low-balling me in the first place. The other companies offered 3k more than this one. In a way, it bugs me that I'm getting less than I was offered previously by other companies. However, I'm mindful that those offers are no longer there and I had my reasons for rejecting them. Although this one offers less, it's the closest one to home (save on gas) and it requires no travel. I was also scared to negotiate for too much and have them opt for another candidate who was potentially asking for less. It's a buyer's market and the jobs are scarce. Having another offer in hand could have given me more leverage but I didn't have any.

Is a 3k difference really that much? That comes out to $125 per pay check assuming I get paid twice a month, and that doesn't take taxes into account. This is my first real full-time job out of college and I don't have much experience to justify my deserving more money.

To compensate for the difference I was thinking of maybe doing some freelance work on the side in the near future. This job is basically to build experience. After I've proven myself (in a year or so), that's when I should definitely look to get a nice increase. If the company doesn't budge, then I might start looking elsewhere. The economy should be better at that point in time.

Do you guys I have the right frame of mind here?

Definitely.

I took a lower paying job about a year ago because I couldn't stand the atmosphere in the last place I worked...

It was about a $3K difference but to tell you the truth you don't really notice the difference. You could wait tables or something one night every 2 weeks or so and make up the difference, and be a hell of a lot happier.

Is a 3k difference really that much?

Really depends what your income bracket is. Either way though, you'll be spending less on gas which is big looking at gas prices, plus no travel!! Does not sound like to bad a trade off for 2-3K a year!!!

Also, you are fresh out of college, you are more there for the experience, not to make big bucks, yet anyways. Just get that experience under your belt and you will have more negotiating power for the next one. I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just curious what your industry is? Do you think your pay is related to the economy?

Archived