Can a company rescind an offer because you want to negotiate?

I received an offer a few days from a local company. Although the position is a good one, I felt the salary offer was a little low. I gave them a broad $10,000 range and they still offered the lowest amount possible. Since other companies have offered more towards the middle, I told the guy I was very interested in the position but was wondering if the offer was negotiable (I didn't want to start at the middle when they asked what my salary requirements were so as to avoid going too high. I didn't want to knock myself out early, so I played it safe.)

He said it was possible and that I was fully entitled to it. So I asked for about 2-3k more. He told me to express my request in writing, which would be sent to a company office that handles HR in Europe. I spoke to him today and he stated that due to them being in a different time zone, they weren't able to give him a definitive answer before closing hours. However, he said he hasn't gotten any objections to my request to this point. Had there been any, he would have known by now.

The final answer will come on Monday. Even if they decline my request, I'm still going to accept the original offer. But that's what worries me a bit. Is it possible for a company to rescind an offer just because you asked if the offer was negotiable? I stated clearly that this isn't a deal breaker for me and that I remain highly interested in the position no matter what.

Good move on your behalf. It's all part of the negotiation process and it is very probable you will get what you had asked for. What I would have done if I were you is since you like the position and company alot but the money is not the greatest I would have said that you are willing to take the base salary to start but you intend to work hard and make a deal that if you are doing a great job and they are happy with your work in 3 months they bump you up to what you asked for. Companies are very favourable to that request because they are afraid to give extra money up front for someone they have not worked with but are more than willing to give the extra money when they are convinced you are an asset to the company. I did that with my current job as an engineer. At the interview they asked what my salary expectations were and since I was going nowhere with them I said this: "Why don't you guys start me off at what you suggested and if you are happy with what I'm doing as I expect to work really hard you increase my salary to what you think is appropriate" I worked my butt off for 8 months and came christmas time they gave me a 15% raise. A year later they gave me an extra 10% on top of that and only 3 weeks later another director again gave me 10% more so I've been there for just over 2 years and make now almost 40% more than what I started with. This is a good way to negotiate too, worked for me.

Many companies do not have any room for negotiation, believe it or not. I have made hundreds of offers in my day, never have i been able to give someone what they countered for.

I dont think they will rescind the offer, just might not be able to give you the extra.

Once the company gives you the offer, they can't really take it back. A salary negotiation shouldn't be a deal breaker at all; many people go through it. The worst that can happen is that they won't give you a higher pay.

Well technically they CAN take it back. When the candidate says i will only accept it at X amount they can say offer w/drawn. They could say that he declined the offer they extended and close out the books right then and there if they wanted to.

I doubt they will, but to say they can't isn't correct.

Double J is this the same company you have been fooling around with for a couple of months now?

Jaded,

This is a different company. I went for the interview last week and already this week I received the offer.

I didn't tell the company I'd only accept x amount. I simply stated that I was interested in seeing if there was room for negotiation. I was clear that although other companies have offered more, I like this offer a lot and wouldn't mind if they paid less. Still, I'm hoping for something a little higher.

When I see jobs advertised, they often say that the salary is 'negotiable', so I'm sure that firms are prepared for someone saying that every so often. I don't think you should worry about this too much. I doubt that they will rescind their offer, but if in the unlikely event that they do, it sounds as though you have a lot of opportunities.

Did you give a reason? I typically tell them I need more money because a) I've been offered a higher amount at a different company or b) I'm currently already making more than what they have offered.

If they want you bad enough they will up their offer and it definitely doesn't hurt if they know that you are already worth more than that or are wanted by other companies.

It would be rare for them to take back their original offer. They typically will just tell you they can't offer you anymore than they already have.

If they have given you an offer then they have specifically chosen you and want you over any other candidate and a lot of companies are willing to pay extra to get their choice instead of settling for a second choice. And to be perfectly honest, I would be very cautious with any company that isn't willing to pony up an extra 2-3k to get the person of their choice. If they are that hard up for money, what do you think your promotions and raises will look like?

A counter-offer will negate the original offer. You have very little to work with in terms of negotiation with 5-10 years of experience. Anything less than 5 years, then forget about it. 10+ years and you may have some wiggle room. Employers aren't dumb - if they are a good employer and want you, then they will make a competitive offer.

You have very little to work with in terms of negotiation with 5-10 years of experience. Anything less than 5 years, then forget about it.

It could just be my industry, but from my experience and others I work with this is completely untrue.

I admit I am in a high demand field, but I have just under 3 years of experience and I just took on a new job that pays 20k higher than what I make now and 5k of that was due to negotiating up my salary.

Is it possible for a company to rescind an offer just because you asked if the offer was negotiable?

Most definitely. They have not hired you, you have no stake in the game. You have no rights in this situation, as you described.

I think you made the right decision though, as you are talking about such small dollars. Hopefully they will accept your offer. Good Luck!!!!!

Archived