do employers frown upon unpaid work/experience?

In June of last year I took a paid part-time position while still a full-time student in college. A month later, I decided to tack on more experience to my resume by taking an unpaid job. Thus, I was studying and managing two jobs simultaneously.

I graduated in December, and in February of this year I decided to drop the paid position and focus only on the unpaid one, as I saw it as the one that provided better experience (I wasn't desperate for the money, anyway). It was also when I started searching for full-time jobs so I wanted to focus only on one.

Is this, in any way, a turn-off to an employer? At least I'm being honest and genuine about my intentions. Do they really care if it's paid or not, as long as it's experience?

The reason why I ask is because I had to fill out a job history application during an interview I had yesterday. They told me to be dead honest about everything, and so I was. I didn't want to lie about salary and later get caught. On top of that, I originally went in for an interview at this very company a few months ago and I was upfront about one of the jobs being unpaid. I didn't want to say otherwise for this second position and get in trouble. That first position ended up closing due to company restructuring.

I've had 3 previous jobs in total, and the most recent one (the unpaid one) is the one least pertinent to this position, which makes me think they won't even care that it was unpaid. The other two - which relate more to this position - were indeed paid.

Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks.

Well, I think it depends on the type of experience you had and what it offers to the position you are applying. If its directly related, and you spent a certain amount of time in that field, the fact that you put in time and effort for NOTHING..I think speaks well.

I know my resume is littered with co-op placements and internships, which I think is quite understandable for my field of work..and its never been a problem.

So I don't think they frown upon it. I mean, how can they frown upon someone who's willing to work for nothing? And if its not related to the field and nature of the current job you're applying for, I wouldn't worry about it.

You did spend time and you may have gained some valuable experience that may relate a little to the position. I guess the only thing that I could see a problem is what you did on this unpaid job. Some people may not view it as a real job, and may not take it seriously..because I know one co-op placement I had I basically just followed around someone most of the time and was more of an assistant that shadowed..but it does speak well in terms of committment and things of that nature.

I know certain jobs look for volunteer work, alot of jobs really want to see those kinds of things on an application...you did gain some experience to a certain extent..I don't see why they would frown on it.

I agree, I do think it depends on the relevance of the experience to the positions you may want to apply for.....in my opinion taking unpaid work shows more dedication, it proves that you are prepared to work harder......

I'm stating this from a media industry point of view...I studied for a course in media communication and production and certainly in the UK many jobs within the media require voluntary work to gain employment.....it shows commitment and dedication.....it again proves that you are prepared to work hard to gain the necessary knowledge and experience.

Archived