Gym - a bad place to flirt?

shy2cool

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have, one one freak occasion, scoped out a cute girl who was working out, we somehow ended up on the basketball courts at the same time just shooting the ball around (that was my "in"), so we started talking. Fast forward 3 hours, and we're at her place having sex.

I have no clue on God's green earth how I managed to pull that off and I truly don't think that kind of thing will ever happen again. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. It makes for a great story. Turns out she moved out of my town a few weeks later.

I'm also a 'get in there, hit the workout and get out' type of person, but I'd be lying if I said I never chatted up and flirted with girls there. Mainly, a few who work at the front desk. But nowadays I don't do any of that stuff, I'm there to hit the weights and get annoyed at people who seem like theyre there to hang out more than work out.

I was there on a Sunday morning once working with a trainer and one of the guys who lifts was there. It was pretty empty and when my trainer walked away for a second, he said something to me about how we could have slept in on a Sunday morning, but no we decided to come into the gym and kill ourselves. I thought it was funny and now we're friendly when we see each other. He wasn't trying to hit on me or anything, but it was a good way to start a conversation.

I was there on a Sunday morning once working with a trainer and one of the guys who lifts was there. It was pretty empty and when my trainer walked away for a second, he said something to me about how we could have slept in on a Sunday morning, but no we decided to come into the gym and kill ourselves. I thought it was funny and now we're friendly when we see each other. He wasn't trying to hit on me or anything, but it was a good way to start a conversation.

Most of the girls at my YMCA are from my town or the neighboring town, so a lot of times they have shirts that say "(town name) soccer" or something of the sort. I figured I could always say something like, "so how did the girls soccer team do this year." or if I'm pretty sure they're in college like me, "are you playing soccer in college?" I like talking with girls who do sports since both of us like talking about it and then ask me about mine, and of course I start talking about rowing and they ask a million questions about it since no one knows anything about crew. Keeps the conversation going and gets them interested, maybe even a bit impressed by all the Rocky IV-esque work we do.

there you go. make her feel fat. lol

Other variations of great lines that can be totally taken wrong:

"I know you can't disagree to going to the new Dunkin' Donuts with me later."

I go to the gym and on my way in I'll chat up some of the women that work there, but once the workout starts I'm all about business... then I hit on them on the way out

I haven't tried to get a number yet, but maybe it would be a good idea, who knows?

I understand people wanting to be there just for the workout. You get in a zone and it can be personal time. But on the other hand, what if you're missing out on meeting someone that you would completely click with and have an amazing relationship with? I don't think people should be so against talking to others at the gym. There's just a certain way to go about it so that you don't disrupt their workout.

I understand people wanting to be there just for the workout. You get in a zone and it can be personal time. But on the other hand, what if you're missing out on meeting someone that you would completely click with and have an amazing relationship with? I don't think people should be so against talking to others at the gym. There's just a certain way to go about it so that you don't disrupt their workout.

You ever try and pick up a guy at a hospital? Or during a court session?

It's not that much of a difference. They're there for a purpose.

Yeah, you have a purpose and that purpose goes above all else while you're there. If you to the gym looking to socialize, then that's just weird and annoying. If an opportunity comes your way though, why waste it? Say that after I'm done working out and I go to the cubbies to sit for a bit and get my stuff, and I see this girl who's done with her workout too. What's wrong with saying hi talking to her for a bit, now that your main purpose is out of the way? It's not like she's gonna say, "Sorry, but I don't talk to guys at the gym. I'm here to workout and nothing else." If a girl told me that, especially one my age, I would laugh.

I feel the unexpected and unusual are the charms and this can make unusual places a great place to hook up.

I'd suggest not picking people up at the courthouse, however.

It's not even about picking up a guy, it's about making conversation. I go to court all the time for work and there's a ton of socializing going on. I'm actually pretty sure one of the lawyers I know flirts with me.

Maybe my gym is just different from yours. People are always socializing. I've made a lot of friends there and I love it. It's not like I'm going to walk up to a guy while he's lifting and interrupt what he's doing. But a lot of the time they're just standing around talking while waiting to use a machine. Actually a lot of them are talking and joking around while lifting, so it wouldn't be considered rude or anything at my gym.

Archived