When the thoughts come

That used to happen to me too. Especially after something major like my biggest breakup. But the only way I dealt with it is to completely exhaust yourself before you try and go to bed. Then you'll fall asleep and STAY asleep. I'd be up and around until I was ready to drop. The other thing I did was read, reading knocks me out like a baby.

Hope that helped.

Take care,

Mo

Thanks Mo...I do try to exhaust myself...I am at the point of dropping but still seem to be unable to sleep...but thanks for the advice!

Back in December I had a "problem" with my then ex-boyfriend (now boyfriend again!), to do with another girl.

It made me absolutely sick. I couldn't sleep. I had panic attacks. When I did sleep I dreamed of her and them together. Before falling asleep that was all I could think about - I would cry myself to sleep. Terrible.

Now, I am a super emotional person, but I'm pretty sure what you're dealing with is a lot bigger than my problem! But still, gradually it went away. I stopped having so many dreams, my anxiety went down - it took maybe 2 months, but at the time that was all I could think about, 24/7, and I really thought it would never go away.

So, chin up!

I don't know what that is

ADHD is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder:

DSM-IV Criteria for ADHD

I. Either A or B

• Six or more of the following symptoms of inattention have been present for at least 6 months to a point that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level
    • Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities.
    • Often has trouble keeping attention on tasks or play activities.
    • Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly.
    • Often does not follow instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions).
    • Often has trouble organizing activities.
    • Often avoids, dislikes, or doesn't want to do things that take a lot of mental effort for a long period of time (such as schoolwork or homework).
    • Often loses things needed for tasks and activities (e.g. toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools).
    • Is often easily distracted.
    • Is often forgetful in daily activities.

• Six or more of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have been present for at least 6 months to an extent that is disruptive and inappropriate for developmental level
      • Often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat.
      • Often gets up from seat when remaining in seat is expected.
      • Often runs about or climbs when and where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may feel very restless).
      • Often has trouble playing or enjoying leisure activities quietly.
      • Is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor".
      • Often talks excessively.

Impulsivity

• Often blurts out answers before questions have been finished.
      • Often has trouble waiting one's turn.
      • Often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g., butts into conversations or games).

• Some symptoms that cause impairment were present before age 7 years.
      • Some impairment from the symptoms is present in two or more settings (e.g. at school/work and at home).
      • There must be clear evidence of significant impairment in social, school, or work functioning.
      • The symptoms do not happen only during the course of a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Schizophrenia, or other Psychotic Disorder. The symptoms are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g. Mood Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative Disorder, or a Personality Disorder).

Based on these criteria, three types of ADHD are identified

• ADHD, Combined Type: if both criteria 1A and 1B are met for the past 6 months
      • ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Type: if criterion 1A is met but criterion 1B is not met for the past six months
      • ADHD, Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Type: if Criterion 1B is met but Criterion 1A is not met for the past six months.

Over the counter can help you sleep but they have a tendency to make you feel like a zombie the next morning.

Kuiks, i dont like to recommend drugs but i think right now, just for about a week or so, perhaps you should talk to your MD about getting something for the anxiety. it can really help take the edge off right now. Only get a script for many ten of them and use them when you are at your most anxiety ridden or when you just can't relax or turn off the thoughts.

Some may say dont take a pill but hey, what is happening to you is IMO far more detrimental to your health than taking an anxiety pill like xanax over the next week here and there.

When my daughter went thru a horrific break up and she was crying all the time, coudln't sleep and was having a hard time concentrating i told her to go to the doc and explain the anxiety and how it was affecting her day to day life and they gave her a mild anti anxiety med, only about ten of them, and it really helped take the edge off. I have seen this be beneficial for many people going thru this sort of thing.

I honestly don't think that you would need a hardcore sleep med like ambien or lunesta, but dont take my word for it. Consult your doc.

Working out more than usual or start a routine if you dont already also helps. I do agree with ghost on that.

I dont agree with the ADHD possibility only because the symptoms many experience after an anxiety ridden break up will mimic the symptoms of ADHD and other disorders. Unless you are like this all the time i would not think it would be ADHD.

Again, don't take my word for it, consult a physician.

I'm not trying to disagree with eveyrone but the nightcaps, alcohol, don't sound like a good idea either because that is the worst time to be drinking when one is upset. It actually can make your sadness seem tenfold and one nightcap might lead to another and another if you are already so down.

Again i am really not trying to disagree with some of the posts here i have just had a lot of experience with people who have gone thru this and know from trial and error what has worked for them and what didn't....alcohol was rarely a good idea for anyone going thru a tough time like this.

I agree with you that alcohol is not the way to go. However, I know for me that lack of sleep is very detrimental. A Lunesta here or there isn't hardcore, in my humble opinion. In fact, I haven't had a decent night's sleep in two weeks and now get to go get the script filled. I will sleep tonight and be able to function volunteering tomorrow.

I think 10 Xanax would be a good thing to do, but I know it wouldn't help me with sleep.

Better living through psychopharmacology is the way I go. And trust me, I have a Dr. who isn't in the habit of handing out pills on a whim. To each his own.

I agree with you that alcohol is not the way to go. However, I know for me that lack of sleep is very detrimental. A Lunesta here or there isn't hardcore, in my humble opinion. In fact, I haven't had a decent night's sleep in two weeks and now get to go get the script filled. I will sleep tonight and be able to function volunteering tomorrow.

I think 10 Xanax would be a good thing to do, but I know it wouldn't help me with sleep.

Better living through psychopharmacology is the way I go. And trust me, I have a Dr. who isn't in the habit of handing out pills on a whim. To each his own.

Don't get me wrong, i totally agree with lunesta and ambien for serious sleep problems...but when the sleep disturbance is primarily due to anxiety often an anti anxiety med like xanax is more helpful to the patient because it doesn't just zonk them out but takes the edge off even during the evening even before sleeping. Will help her feel relaxed.

My SO took ambien for awhile because nothing really worked for him but he had problems sleeping not due to anxiety.

Xanax will definitely take the edge off and help you sleep (it did for me), but listen to your doctor and do exactly as he says if you take it. Trust me, taking too many is NOT a good idea... Its a temporary fix though since it only stays in your system a few hours, but it will help with Anxiety.

Archived