Did I screw up my chances of getting this job?

I think I may have.

I had an interview on Friday with an electronics company. It seems like a great company to work for and I enjoyed the interview very much.

Something, however, that bugged me was the commute. It took me almost an hour to get there, and I'm normally accustomed to interviewing with employers not further than 10-30 mins away from my house.

So I was a bit forthcoming about this during the interview. I told the guy that the commute was fairly long, but that I'd consider taking a different route to avoid early morning traffic congestion. He then threw out a joke: "Are you sure you can handle the traffic? I don't want you getting impatient and shooting at people." I told him I was a patient person and that it wouldn't be a problem.

I also told him that I've been getting offers from local companies for x-amount of money. Naturally, I would expect a company that is further away to offer me the same, if not more. I just don't find it practical to drive further for less money.

I feel I really connected with the guy on a personal level. I asked him about his college education, congratulated him as he's expecting a child, etc. I think I sold myself well but I felt I needed to be upfront about certain things.

Towards the end he asked me if I'd be available for a follow-up interview this week, and I said absolutely (although a 2nd interview has not yet been set up).

Do you think I screwed up my chances of getting this job? I know a key factor is going to be the other candidates. If someone else lives in the area and has more experience, I'm sure to lose. On the other hand, they may see how hungry I am for the position and passionate about the field in which I work.

Agreed. I wouldn't have made an issue out of that. But on the other hand, an interview is as much the employer gathering info about you, as it is you gathering info about the potential employer. So you should definitely raise issues with the employer that you may have.

Some people don't mind a long commute... or if you really like the job you could move closer. So employers look at the commute as your problem or issue, and won't necessarily pay you more just because you live farther away. It might be a factor in you making your decision (i.e., you will only commute farther for more money), but they won't give you more just because of that.

So you didn't blow it, but don't expect it to get you more money.

Archived