Do you love your job?

... and if so, what do you do?

I'm still very unsure as to what I want to do with my future. There are certain things I know I won't do/like to do -

1. working with dead people

2. medicine/doctor/nurse - I can't handle blood and internal organs

3. anything too physically demanding

4. administrative work - tried that

I want to try something interesting but I'm not sure how to get my foot in the door. When I say interesting jobs, I mean a job like "certified fire walk instructor", or like an artistic director of an orchestral group (but these kinds of jobs are so hard to land on).

Any advice? thanks

Interesting really depends on the individual. I've had some jobs in the past that I'm sure others would find really interesting (I worked as an artist for awhile), but personally, I found it to be no better than wiping down tables at a restaurant. To be really interested and engaged in your job, it needs to be something that you personally find interesting. College is great for this - if you go in undeclared and just work on core for the first two years, you can often find something that you really love.

I absolutely don't like my job, but i must do it for a while.

I had myself convinced that the corporate world was evil, but i am considering entering it again, i'll just be careful who i work for. I have figured that if i like the people and don't mind the products (esp. if they do no harm to the environment), then i will be able to tolerate it for a while.

Interesting thing is, i decided to open my own business, because i thought i would find more integrity in that. Interestingly, i found that most people i had to deal with had their own ulterior motives in mind, or lied to me so i would buy their products.

You can't win either way. Lol.

I absolutely don't like my job, but i must do it for a while.

I had myself convinced that the corporate world was evil, but i am considering entering it again, i'll just be careful who i work for. I have figured that if i like the people and don't mind the products (esp. if they do no harm to the environment), then i will be able to tolerate it for a while.

Interesting thing is, i decided to open my own business, because i thought i would find more integrity in that. Interestingly, i found that most people i had to deal with had their own ulterior motives in mind, or lied to me so i would buy their products.

You can't win either way. Lol.

You are so right, that's kinda what I feel at this moment. but sometimes I feel that somehow, somewhere, a job that I love is waiting for me, I just don't know what it is at this point.

I want to try something interesting but I'm not sure how to get my foot in the door. When I say interesting jobs, I mean a job like "certified fire walk instructor", or like an artistic director of an orchestral group (but these kinds of jobs are so hard to land on).

Any advice? thanks

Actually, I think that's a built-in way to see just how much you want something.

There are lots of things I think might be interesting jobs...but when I find out about the training needed or what the real day-to-day work is like, I find myself going, "....uh, no thanks." Except for the one thing I've been doing for a living the last 25 years. For that, I have jumped every hurdle, put up with beyond excrementally bad conditions, low pay and all the rest.

I am a radio DJ. I got it in my head I wanted to do this when I was about 15 and heard a female disk jockey the first time. I started at college radio at 18, and by 19 had a paying gig at a "real" radio station. Been continuously employed ever since (which is a rarity in this business).

I like being on the air. I like doing my show. I like connecting with the listeners (in a once-removed, on the air, over the phone or email way...I don't like to deal with them face to face). I like the hours. I like working with creative people in a casual environment (read: I like coming to work in a tshirt and shorts in the summer time and working with people who are a wee bit crazy.)

There's also plenty I don't like: I don't like the state of the radio business these days (corporate-run and basically, dying). I don't like the back-stabby, political BS stuff (but, really, I think you get some of that in any job in any field of work). I don't like dealing with some of the big egos I've worked with over the years. I mean, you're a local DJ....you're not some big celeb like Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt....no one really cares if you want all the brown M&Ms picked out of the bag before you get it, ok?

However, even with the negatives and the annoyances, I can't see myself doing something else. Given some work-related stuff I have going on now (if you're really bored/curious, I've been whining about it in my thread in the Journals section), I have A LOT of annoyances right now...but I can still say I can't see myself doing something else.

I'm not sure if that's "love" or just "pathetic"...but it is what it is.

Actually, I think that's a built-in way to see just how much you want something....

I am a radio DJ. I got it in my head I wanted to do this when I was about 15 and heard a female disk jockey the first time. I started at college radio at 18, and by 19 had a paying gig at a "real" radio station. Been continuously employed ever since (which is a rarity in this business)....

I'm not sure if that's "love" or just "pathetic"...but it is what it is.

I think you are so right, and I think that is SO COOL! Being a radio DJ!! wow..

But yeah I do also hate all the backstabbing and office politics but I guess it's the same everywhere and hard to run away from.

It's just so nice that you are so accepting of your job. I guess I don't really need to find a job that I absolutely love. All I really need is a job which I can tolerate for a long time. Of course it'll be a bonus if I could find one that I really am passionate about.

My back hurts, I am sweaty, my hands are covered in dirt and I aren't nearly drunk enough to fall asleep.

Are you a talented writer ? be honest, you could become a journalist if you are. I think that would be a fantastic job, write for a local newspaper about school kids or whatever else. Not sure how realisitc it would be but could be fun.

Archived