Open Club  ·  38 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Anyone recommend a good book?

JadedStar

Anything by David Sedaris!, Hilarious!!

Yes! You can hear DS read a lot of his stuff going back to 1995 or so at This American Life's website. (David Rakoff is another very funny author you can hear there, too - many good writers at TAL.)

If you like your reading dark and depressing, I recommend No Country for Old Men - far better than the movie IMO.

• 2 months later...

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy was really dark, scary, and disturbing, but there was something really powerful about it between the father and the son. I loved it and couldn't get it out of my mind for weeks. It won the Pulitzer Prize.

"Bourne Identity" by Robert Ludlum - I'm reading this now. It's very good and moves very quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy was really dark, scary, and disturbing, but there was something really powerful about it between the father and the son. I loved it and couldn't get it out of my mind for weeks. It won the Pulitzer Prize.

"Bourne Identity" by Robert Ludlum - I'm reading this now. It's very good and moves very quickly.

I really enjoyed The Road. I was reading that book, and I ended up hooking up with some woman I knew for the first time. As we talked, it turned out that she was reading the same book. So of course, then I had to jump through it fast.

There is a The Road movie coming out btw. Very excited to see this one.

My book recommendations:

Courage: The Joy of Living Dangerously (I always rec. this one.)

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore (You will thank me later for rec.ing this.)

Acts of Worship by Yukio Mishima.

If the River Was Whiskey by T.C. Boyle

Music of Chance by Paul Auster

McTeague by Frank Norris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am reading "Black Boy" by Richard Wright. This book is very inspiring. It's his autobiography. During the time it was written, there weren't many African American authors. It was also way before the civil rights era. His books actually sparked a lot of the civil rights moment, or inspired the civil rights moment.

Just reading the things he went through in his life has helped me to appreciate everything I have taken for granted in mine. It's a great read and I suggest it to anyone.

Archived