To Negotiate or Not To Negotiate?

Double J

A little over a month ago, I received my first full-time job offer. (I graduated from college recently.) I felt the pay was too little, thus it didn't work out in the end.

For the past few weeks, I've gone to several different interviews for different jobs. As of late, three really good ones have popped up for good companies, all of which have expressed interest in me.

One of those called me today to extend an offer. They said they'd formally send me the paperwork on Monday since one of the managers whose signature was required didn't go to work today. The young woman did tell me over the phone what the salary would be.

As it turns out, it's 1K higher than the first job I turned down (still don't know about the benefits yet), and it's even closer to my house. I had three interviews for this company (2 in-person, one over the phone) and I really enjoyed the company atmosphere there; the employees seem really nice as well. All in all, the job seems much more exciting than the first offer that was extended.

If a company formally writes down an offer on paper, does that mean they're not open to negotiation? I'm not sure if I should ask to see if I could get 1 or 2K more. I don't want to blow my chances since it's an excellent opportunity. I'm also entry-level, and the offer is fair given my limited experience. The job market is so weak right now that many of us starting out can't afford to get too picky.

Any tips/suggestions welcome. Thanks guys.

Most of the time if it is written in paper it is pretty much set in stone. That is what the company is willing to pay for the entry level position. If it is a job that you really want feel that you would excel at, I probably wouldn't try to negotiate for 1 or 2k more. It probably isn't worth it.

Hi there....

CONGRATULATIONS!! ON YOUR GRADUATION....AND ON THE NEW JOB...!!

To answer your question, if you feel that you are worth one or two more k, then go for it. It's your life. And if they liked you enough to offer you a position, giving you 1-3 k higher than they offered is not going to hurt their pockets...

But, do what you feel is right...

Most of the time if it is written in paper it is pretty much set in stone. That is what the company is willing to pay for the entry level position. If it is a job that you really want feel that you would excel at, I probably wouldn't try to negotiate for 1 or 2k more. It probably isn't worth it.

GOod point!=)

If you're only looking for a few thousand more, I would not ask for it at this point. (I would, however, look into benefits.) Instead, work for a few months and at the 3 or 6 month point (after you feel you've proven yourself) ask for the additional money. Then they will know that you are worth it!

As someone who has been on both sides of the hiring debate, I think you are still ok to negotiate pay and/or benefits. Even for entry-level in a crummy market. It just needs to be done in the right way. But you will - in the end - need to have a good argument to the prospective employer why this needs to be done.

I have negotiated after I received a first written offer and no one has ever rescinded the job offer as a result. Some have refused to budge on their offer, but there were never any negative connotations and the offer was never pulled off the table.

Granted, I don't know the field you are entering nor where you reside. But it does sound like you have some momentum with multiple companies expressing interest.

What I would NOT do is stop your process with the others. What I would do is let the other companies with whom you are speaking know ASAP that you have an offer on the table but that you are still interested in finding out more about the other companies have to offer and vice versa.

If you can get multiple offers on the table then you might be able to play the companies against each other for a little extra money and benefits (if you have no true preference re: work environment, boss, etc for one or the other).

I just think it is easier to negotiate for more money at the beginning (if you can make a case for it - but if you think you are owed more money "just because", then you have no case and you look silly).

Good luck.

I agree with Rootcause43.

If you want to negotiate salary, do so but have facts to back it up and make a case.

If you just ask for more money because *you* feel like it's not enough, without anything to back it up, they'll turn you down.

Look up the salary histories for your job position in the area you are in, and consider your level of education and your grades (assuming you graduated college). If they all add up, then you can probably ask for more money.

Also like Rootcause said, you can negotiate other things like more paid vacation, more sick leave etc.

Archived