Question regarding desired salary/interview

Double J

I plan on graduating in December but my full-time job search has already begun.

I had a phone interview today with the company and they must have liked what they heard because they've asked me to come in next Monday for an in-person interview.

Here's the thing: The lady threw a curveball by asking me what salary range I had in mind. I didn't expect her to do this over the phone, so I reluctantly blurted out a modest range. I didn't want to go too high in case there are other applicants willing to settle for less. In retrospect I would have increased the minimum and maximum by $2,000.

On Monday, would it be appropriate for me to say that I've reconsidered my range?

Don't adjust it. Do some research in your field for next time. For instance, if the range in your field in your area is $50K to $60K then tell them you're thinking in the $52K to $55K... Be aware you're worth less as a new grad, but they will always want to offer you a couple thousand below your range.

On Monday, would it be appropriate for me to say that I've reconsidered my range?

Absolutely not.

Do not bring up salary unless they talk to you about it.

If/when they make you an offer, you can counter it, and see if they'll accept. However counter offers require research on your part. It's usually safer to negotiate more vacation, sick days, then it is to negotiate salary (especially if they hit your target range).

Think about it this way: an extra $2,000 ends up being an extra $166 a month, which is quite a bit less once you factor in payroll taxes. Is it worth that extra $166 a month to start off in the wrong foot with your new employer?

Absolutely not.

Do not bring up salary unless they talk to you about it.

If/when they make you an offer, you can counter it, and see if they'll accept. However counter offers require research on your part. It's usually safer to negotiate more vacation, sick days, then it is to negotiate salary (especially if they hit your target range).

Think about it this way: an extra $2,000 ends up being an extra $166 a month, which is quite a bit less once you factor in payroll taxes. Is it worth that extra $166 a month to start off in the wrong foot with your new employer?

edit. This is one of the reasons you will be stereotyped as unassertive if you don't initiate a request for a salary estimate. Don't even wait for them to do it, do it quick and sound confident.

I agree with negotiating on vacation days, or a health benefits package, moving fees, something like that... I can't really see how you can "take it back", especially since you haven't even been offered the job yet.

I was reading some article about people who were asking for raises, but not taking full advantage of their employers matching their 401Ks. If your company does that, you get an automatic "raise."

Archived