Should I go to the interview or cancel it?

Double J

Hello,

I won't be graduating from college for two more months, but I am already planning ahead career-wise. I've scheduled a job interview for Friday morning with a small wholesaler/distributor. The ad listed it as a full-time job, so I made sure to tell the guy upfront that I won't be graduating - and thus cannot work full-time - until December. He said he'd start me off as a part-timer and would turn this into a full-time job upon graduation.

My problem is this: For the past few months, I've been working for a small start-up company. For numerous reasons that I won't mention in the interest of time, the job has helped me realize that the entrepreneurial/start-up environment is not a good fit for me. I prefer companies that are well-structured, stable, and capable of providing a well-defined list of responsibilities.

Alas, the company that posted the new job listing only has 5 employees and has been around for only 5 or 6 years. Just from visiting the company website, I got the impression that it's a relatively small company. It gives too much emphasis to its two owners and makes no mention of employees, doesn't have a link for job openings, etc.

Do you think I should just cancel the interview? I really don't want to settle for the first thing that comes along, either. I applied for this on link removed and got a response within a few hours (which in a way seems too good to be true). Ultimately, I desire to work for a bigger company that offers room for growth.

My current job is rather fruitless but staying until December won't kill me. I'm still getting paid decently and it affords me a great deal of flexibility to focus on my classes. The new job would require a much longer driving distance and possibly more working hours.

Thanks in advance.

I think you should go to the interview.

Interview practice is good to have anyway. Hear the man out. You may like the job. Even if you did take the job, and it wasn't something you could forsee yourself doing forever... It IS experience and that in of itself can be a great thing.

I agree, interview practice is ALWAYS good!

Plus, I once interviewed for a job that I thought I didn't want. I had already accepted enough projects to keep me busy and this one seemed to offer me less than the ones that I already had on my plate. I decided to take the interview for the practice and the opportunity to get an inside view of how this organization worked. (How often are we welcomed into a company to get a glance at the inner workers?) I took the interview and fell in love with this company! It turned out to be a fantastic job and such a pleasant environment!!! I am so glad that I took that interview! You just never know!

Take the interview with an open mind and know that you have nothing to lose. You already know certain things about the environment that concern you, so develop questions about that and see if you can find out more. Maybe it's not what you expect... maybe you are dead on the nail. Either way, allow the interview help you learn all the facts!

Good luck!

Based on your negative experiences with the startup, I can understand your reluctance to go on the interview with the small company, but I still say "Go!" It may not be your ideal job, but it's a good opportunity to practice interviewing and to learn about the company and its niche in the industry. The more you know about these things, the better position you're in to judge job offers in general.

Secondly, it's good to network. You never know who you'll meet that will lead you onto a more ideal opportunity. If you're not the right fit for them, they might be able to introduce you to someone who is.

Finally, just because the website is focused on the owners, doesn't mean that the company isn't well-structured and stable. Five to six years is a good sign. At that level of business, the owners ARE the face of the company and there reputation is what drives sales and keeps customers coming back. As for not having job openings listed, they probably rarely hire so don't see a point in maintaining a job page.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your job hunt!

Archived