Dilemma: Big company or small company?

Hey,

I was hoping you guys could give me your input/insights.

Recently I've been offered two job opportunities - one at a big company (won't mention it for confidentiality purposes but think of a giant in entertainment like Paramount) and another at a small start-up company.

The big company is huge, and as you all know, there are obvious benefits in working for a big company (job stability, peace of mind, benefits, etc.) But in my experience, working for a big company also has its downside. I worked for a big ad agency as an intern for a long time, and unfortunately it seems like sometimes you get lost in the mix. With so many people and departments, eventually I felt somewhat left out. I'm afraid that something similar might happen if I choose the big company. I also got the opportunity from an ex-boss who worked at the agency (and left 6 months into my internship at the agency). Now he offered this opportunity at the big company. Although he's a nice guy I had my issues with him in the other company. The pay at this company would be roughly the same as the ad agency.

As for the small company, it's basically a start-up and the president needs help in getting things going. IN this case I'd be a big fish in a small pond (I would get the benefit of owning shares in the company, writing business plans, etc). Thus I'd have an overall bigger role. The issue is that I'm not sure if they're willing to give me the hours and pay I want.

This is a very hard decision for me. Everyone is telling me to go to the bigger one since it's so well-known, but maybe deep inside that's not what I want. Maybe I like being around few people yet having bigger contributions and opportunities.

If the small company offers tthe pay I'm looking for I'm strongly considering going to that one.

has anyone been in such a situation or can anyone offer advice?

I've gone for the small organisation myself. A variety of reasons, including getting FAR more responsibility there than I would have at a big company, simply because there is no-one else to do the job. I can grow very much, very fast in this small organisation.

Then i love how connected we all are - with so few colleagues, you know exactly what everyone is doing and how your work connects to theirs, and you marvel at what you can accomplish with such a small team. It also inspires a great deal of loyalty, so I have no intention to leave for a few years, no matter how hard things can be in terms of workload or financially sometimes.

I can't really compare though: i've worked for a big company, but only as a crappy part-time thing while at university, so you're already a bit of an outsider because you're only there a couple of days a week and the work isn't very important to you, while for the rest of the people it's their livelihood. However, all the people in my department kept on doing the same things for the whole three years was there. They also didn't really have a clue who was working in the next room from them, let alone the next floor. All in all, nowhere near the kind of friendly, exiting, dynamic environment my small organisation is!

Did i mention i like small organisations?

I prefer smaller companies to feel more connected. Large companies can have massive layoffs, flooding the job market with you and your coworkers to compete for work.

Of course, it depends on the employer and you.

The last company I worked at was a moderate-sized family owned company. I enjoyed working there and got to know pretty much everybody who worked there including the founder and CEO of the place. It was a happy, cohesive environment. There were layoffs, but very few and far in between. The benefits were ok and stuff, but there definitely was a family feel to the place.

The place I worked at before the small company was a big corporate brokerage firm. You really didnt know anybody except maybe the people you worked with or dealt with on the phone. Morale there was low and turnover was high and it was very stressful. By the time I left, people were leaving as quickly as they could because there was an impeding buyout by another company. A year after I left, the company got bought out the that office was closed and moved to another city.

I liked the moderate sized company and would rather now work for another moderate sized company. It has a better feel to it.

Like you and the others stated there are the pros and cons of both. I just recently wrestled with this question. I had just got the best job supporting the president of a major corporation. It had perks galore. I decided to ditch the benes, personal office, travel perks for something more low key. I ended up getting a part-time job with an office of 3 and returning back to school full-time. I gotta say its the best thing I have done in a looooooong time. I dont have health benes, but in the state where I live there are many health options.

If you are a healthy person and can afford it, I say the small company is the route to take. Also with the two offers which one do you feel more in sync? Did you get any certain vibes from when you interviewed with both?

When you work at a large company your job is more defined. When you work at a smaller start up company your work will be more diverse. I've worked for both and prefer the large company myself, but it is your decision.

I've never been in exactly this situation, but similar. I worked for four years at a family-owned historic hotel. Everyone knew everyone, there weren't many "company policies" to follow. I got tons of responsibility and experience for my age ( i was in highschool at the time) that i feel i couldn't have achieved had i been at a larger company.

Fast forward to now. I'm working for a HUGE nationwide corporation where i feel like i'm only a number. They have so many rules, policies, dress codes i have to follow, i don't feel like i'm getting nearly as much experience as i could be at a smaller place.

I think if you're looking to grow as a person/employee & get as much as possible out of this job, the smaller company would be best for you. But, if you don't mind just being a number but having the job security, go for the larger corp.

I think if you're looking to grow as a person/employee & get as much as possible out of this job, the smaller company would be best for you. But, if you don't mind just being a number but having the job security, go for the larger corp.

This is solid, general advice. I grappled with this a couple years ago when interviewing for my first "real job" and turned down some excellent large companies (Leo Burnett, Citibank, JPMorgan, etc.) to work for a smaller company which was just getting out of the start-up phase. My take:

Large Companies:

- You will have the "name" on your resume.

- You are a number; it's tougher to navigate the corporate ladder

- You are a "paper pusher;" it's tough to get additional responsibility

- Your job is very defined and narrow; difficult to receive exposure

- It is generally stable; raises are "average," i.e., X

- A set schedule, i.e., 9-5

Small Companies:

- Relatively obscure; most outside the industry won't know of it; no big "name" so when you move on, you sell your accomplishments and skills as opposed to the "name" of a larger corp. which does much of the selling

- You receive a great deal of responsibility

- Your job has overlapping roles; on any given day you may be doing things which larger corp.'s segregate into various departments

- Exposure is disgusting; people notice you; easy to move up and assume more if you prove yourself

- The environment is more entrepreneurial; you reap what you sow; typically not a 9-5 job; hours are generally longer

- Merit increases are based more on direct performance than HR or industry norms, i.e., X>10% and this number can be well over 20%; additionally, there can be equity sharing or stock compensation awarded to employees, i.e., not limited to executive management

Start Ups:

- Take everything in "Small Companies" and amplify it

- There are 5 stages of start-ups - probability of success and making it big depends on which step you are at. Huge payoff potential and you won't be able to beat the experience; expect to work around the clock

In the end, it's what you want. There is no right answer - you need to decide what's best for you given your current situation and your long term goals.

Personally, I would love to work at a start-up. You won't really have a life outside of work, but the experience would be remarkable if you are able to live on a meager salary until it's off the ground. I envy the older guys & gals at my company who were there from the beginnning. Crazy warstories.

Thanks for the replies.

Polo, I wouldn't say that I'll have no life outside of work. I'm still in school (graduate in December) and this is only a 20 hour per week part-time job.

Right now, I seem closer to picking the smaller company. For one, the person who runs the company and offered me the job has been super nice and persistent in trying to get me to work for her. She also did as much as she could to raise the pay to my liking.

Although big companies sell their name, it's true that your contributions don't get as much recognition as they would in a small company with just a few people. I've also heard that small companies' employees become very close (almost like a family) and if you cannot make it one day for whatever reason they are much more understanding.

Hopefully I make the right decision!

I wouldn't say that I'll have no life outside of work. I'm still in school (graduate in December) and this is only a 20 hour per week part-time job.

I guess it depends then. I've never worked at a start-up, but have heard and read that it's around the clock when trying to get it afloat. Maybe it depends on the industry and size?

I've also heard that small companies' employees become very close (almost like a family) and if you cannot make it one day for whatever reason they are much more understanding.

Good point - this has been my experience as well.

My manager has evolved into a very good friend and I personally view him as a mentor more than a manager, but I know where the line is. Bottom line he's my manager in the end. Colleagues are like family as well; many couples met at the small company I work for.

If something comes up, or if I just can't make it in, then my boss has no issues with it. Last time I couldn't make it in he called my mobile to make sure everything was alright - these don't count as vacation days. That's one of those unspoken, intrinsic benefits of working for a small company.

Archived