Background Checks/Jobs

Hi everyone,

I recently applied for a job and it took them a few days to get back to me.

Yesterday the Human Resources lady for the company e-mailed me with 2 documents attached which turned out to be forms I had to complete in order to authorize them to do a background check on me.

Now, I've heard that usually when you're able to get this far in the process (background check) it usually means that if the check goes through fine you got the job. Is that true?

I asked my would-be boss if it means that I've been chosen, but he didn't seem to want to be specific about it. He just said something like "these are the preliminary steps, you're a top candidate." But when I asked the HR lady she eventually told me that I'm the only person for the position who is getting a background check.

It's kind of confusing. Any feedback is appreciated.

Background checks are usually executed by a third party, meaning the company who is going to hire you will be paying someone to conduct your background search. Usually, a company won't go spending money on doing this if they're unsure about hiring you. When a company decides to go ahead with the background check, there is a high likelihood that you're being considered for the position you interviewed for.

Good luck.

They usually don't waste money on background checks unless they want to hire you, but may not want to go thru the paperwork etc. to hire you if it turns out your background check has problems. So they don't want to make a firm offer until everything checks out OK.

So I think you have cause to be very hopeful that the job is yours, as long as the background check clears OK.

Archived