Internships vs. Part-time jobs

For those of you who have experienced one or both, which one do you think is more beneficial for students in college prior to graduation?

In my opinion, internships are better because:

1. They tend to be more flexible with the students' schedules, hence, they're more accomodating.

2. They don't care about work experience as much as part-time jobs do, and part-time jobs tend to look less at your academic credentials.

3. With internships you may have more leeway in making mistakes and learning from them. That's not the case with part-time jobs.

Does anyone agree/have different opinions?

Supernova,

Whichever gives you more experience is better for you. If you think of it, the two are just different titles but in either case, you're learning and working. Prospective employers care most about relevant experience and how your skills will benefit them.

Depends on what you are looking for.

Sometimes a part-time job is good because it provides you with experience outside your schooling. Of course this depends on your job, pizza hut might not make you all that well rounded.

As far as interships. I developed one for my company and you really want to see that the company has put the effort into ensuring you will get the most out of it. Some companies just allow students to come to the company and they have no real game plan. You most likely want an intership that will have some direction. Does the intership offer one module or do they offer multiple modules? This can help with getting your foot in the door at the particular company.

You really should take a close look at your internship options. Go on your own for pre-internship interviews. Ask the companies questions and find out if they meet your needs. Its quite possible the school you go to has arranged interships with less than ideal companies.

Archived