Breastfeeding - Ounces Consumed

Dilly

So I'd been breastfeeding for 6 weeks as of last Thursday and decided to do a consumption assessment to see how much Chloë consumed (since you can't assess when they dine at the breast). She ate about 24 ounces (assuming the two times I let her breastfeed were not big meals). I bottled and delivered 22 ounces to her and like I said, she breastfed twice for two - ten minutes.

Yesterday, in my absense (I returned to work), she ate 14 ounces within 9 hours. Today, she has already consumed 14 ounces and now she's working on another bottle of 5. If she eats 19 ounces a day in my absense, then I think I may be behind her in terms of production.

I have only bottled 9 ounces so far today. So that's still going to be a debt of 5 if I am lucky enough to bottle five more in twenty minutes.

Yikes, how much do they eat? I know she's getting enough because she's really growing fast, but sheesh!

When my sister was breastfeeding my nephew she wasn't making enough milk. She was told to start bottle feeding him with a formula. Maybe your baby needs to do that? Ask the person who visits you at home or the next time the baby has to have a check up.

I can't tell you anymore than that because I've never had children.

When my sister was breastfeeding my nephew she wasn't making enough milk. She was told to start bottle feeding him with a formula. Maybe your baby needs to do that? Ask the person who visits you at home or the next time the baby has to have a check up.

I can't tell you anymore than that because I've never had children.

Please don't reccomend bottle feeding formula !!!! AAAahhhggghh !!!

Contact la leche league about those questions too....they are experts! Basically, your boob is a supply and demand machine...and wonderfully effecient! If your baby nurses longer and wants more at one feeding, the next time you make more...if she isn't very hungry and feeds less, you make less....the only trouble sometimes is that baby calls for a turkey dinner one feeding, and then only wants a half sandwhich the next....and you are filled with "leftovers" !

THANKS!!! Yeah, it's actually not a good idea to go to bottle feeding formula. I am trying to avoid that adn that's why I'm posting. I want to ensure that my supply (breastpumped milk supply, that is) is on target with her bottle demand. And I am afraid that if I don't pump enough at work and she doesn't demand enough when I'm home, I'm going to end up with a discrepency.

My feeling is that she is eating way more when I'm not around to console herself. This is merely day 2, so I guess I'll just have to ride it out.

If your baby is content and thriving, then don't worry about it. We don't eat the same amount every day either. If she's losing weight and always seems hungry- talk to your doctor, or a lactation consultant at the hospital...

While I totally agree with the idea that breastfeeding is absolutely the best, the most important thing is that your baby gets what it needs. Yes, your body is SUPPOSED to generate all the milk baby needs, but not always. (Just like childbirth is a natural process, but sometimes, medical intervention is needed to save the baby and/or mother)

I find the La Leche League rather militant in their views. From what I understand they take the stance that if you do not breastfeed, that you are ACTIVELY & deliberately harming your baby- which is nonsense and enough to put stressed out mothers over the edge.

For the record, I breastfed for a year. But my milk didn't fully come in for a few days and I was told to formula feed because he lost almost a pound after I took him home from the hospital, and he got jaundice. So don't tell me feeding formula will hurt him.

Sorry, that frustrates me. I had a friend who just about had a nervous breakdown trying to get her kid to nurse- baby simply wasn't interested in it. She kept calling La Leche League, and all they succeeded in doing was make her feel like a failure as a mother.

Trust your instincts- if baby is thriving, then you're doing fine...

Everywhere you read, it gives the amount of formula babies should be eating by pound, but when I look up breastfeeding, it just says "on demand."

I just wanna know...why are you feeding her your reserves? Shouldn't you be breastfeeding her when you're around? That will bring up your milk supply as needed...maybe I missed that point, I don't know.

Like fnlyfrei said, it's all supply and demand. Don't worry so much. Do you use pacifiers?

For the record, I agree with FarthestEdge. I totally punished myself when I couldn't breastfeed. As you know, I tried and tried and was in pain for weeks. I did call laleche league and they did absolutely nothing for me.

So...I know how awful the thought of formula is (and I'm not saying to switch since you seem to be doing well at breastfeeding), but it really isn't terrible. My little boy is happy and healthy and gaining weight and I'm happy too (no pain, woop). So. Sorry to hijack the thread. Just wanted to put my opinion in there.

I am not a La Leche League militant, the longest I breastfed was 10 months. I just think they know ALOT about breastfeeding, and can be used as a valuable resource for information. The OP did not seem to be worried her baby was starving, just transitioning back to work, I would like to encourage her to keep pumping and stay away from cows milk formula, or any formula for as long as she can, because the benefits of human milk are fantastic.

Even though I waited until my son was a year old before giving him milk, he had a horrible time even digesting the whey protein formulas, belly aches, colic, constipation..and even allergies. Human milk also provides the antibodies a mother has to fight diseases for the baby. I am sorry your friend had a bad experience, and I no one ever said formula would hurt a baby, it's just that mother's milk is easier to digest and provides all those benefits...not to mention the bonding. I have seen formula bottle fed newborns who had young inexperienced mothers who propped the bottle. The mother did not know any better...but babies are meant to be held and fed for a reason....anyhoo...my 2 cents....

I was fed bottle only, no breastfeeding, and I turned out just fine, very healthy, physically and psychologically, as are others I know who were bottle fed.

I think it's more a matter of preference.

I don't completely agree about "just a matter of preferance"...I know for some breastfeeding is complicated or impossible, but they tried. Some never wanted to, the idea completely repulsed them. Glad they bottle fed. Sometimes it's a trend...I know when I was a baby in the late 60's, bottle feeding was the norm. For awhile now breastfeeding is the trend, so some women feel like failures if they couldn't or did not want to. It's all individual, and a personal choice. But there must be something to it if doctors and nutritionists advocate it, that you should if you can..and WANT TO.

It would be horrid for a mother to have to breastfeed if she hated it, it would do more damage than it would benefit the infant. Or her.

I know when I had my first son, I thought it was so cool that I could feed him with my body still...that breasts have more of a function than to adorn hooters girls or strippers. They are there to sustain life if possible.

I know in third world countries they push breastfeeding because formula is expensive, clean water is not abundant, and they have less infant mortality because of this "preference". In our country we have many advantages and not the health problems they face. We do have more choices. What is important really is that we have a happy, healthy baby and mother.

As a mother, I was very proud that I sustained a round, healthy, thriving baby through no other means for ten months. It doesn't mean I felt superior to anyone, just satisfied personally that god made my body so wonderously, and it worked. Even if someone only breastfed their baby for a week, I hope that they can experience that feeling.

Well.

Im practically in tears now thanks.

Your baby sounds fine, keep breast feeding.

As for all the talk about breast being best etc etc... Sheesh... I think I may go make my own thread about it but I am one that did try and felt like a failure and to be honest have been fighting depression over my BOOBS for two years. yeah...

I think FNLYFREI is right, my main focus is transitioning back to work and if possible, maintaining a patter of exclusivity when it comes to breastfeeding. FarthestEdge is correct in her suggestion that as long as baby is thriving, don't worry.

Hey BTR! When I'm home, I breastfeed and pump to supply her with backup reserve for when I'm away. I only fed her from the bottle for a day (as part of a "trial run") to get an idea of her consumption so I would know how much frozen supply I needed to thaw and as a trial run to ensure she could take the bottle for extended time intervals (9 hours).

I think that yes, Rose2Summer, formula is fine. But the data are out there that if possible, breastfeeding is clearly beneficial. So if it's a pain, I'll switch. But the benefits for me are as great as those for baby and I'm going to stick to it for selfish reasons as well.

It's not OK to criticise others when they choose not to formula- or breastfeed, and I think that the two arms of practice kind of are in a clashing mode at this point... such that even last night I had to even look up the benefits of breastfeeding once again to refresh my memory as so many people have been telling me how OK it is to formula-feed. Don't get me wrong, I know it is and I will if the time and need arises. HOWEVER, it is a sacrifice that provides bennies not only to me, but to baby and after doing it now for 7 weeks straight, I am just trying to ensure that I don't hit a bump in the road (i.e. returning to work) that throws things way off track.

I am not opposed to supplementing with formula at all, but I'd prefer not to based on some things I've read about exclusive breastfeeding and benefits to mom and baby.

I'm not in agreement that all the proposed benefits of breastfeeding are valid. There was a recent scientific publication rebuking the formerly held idea that breastfed children of early and adolescent age had lower incidence of obesity. So new ideas arise daily regarding the benefits, but as someone stated eloquently above, as long as baby is thriving and maternal diet is healthy, there isn't a strong likelihood that it could harm the baby to breastfeed. Thus, my attempts continue.

And BTR, to answer your question, no, Chloe isn't using a pacifier. I tried three times to console her with one, but she spit it out each time and really only likes the breast. She won't really even suck her hands or fingers/knuckles. SHe just sticks them near her mouth when she's hungry.

Anyway, she ate almost 25 ounces yesterday while I was at work and fed from my breast three or so times. I think she might be in a growth spurt. I thawed 24 ounces for her today. Hopefully, she backs off a bit, but I was able to pump 21 yesterday. So I'm almost able to keep up.

Well.

Im practically in tears now thanks.

Your baby sounds fine, keep breast feeding.

As for all the talk about breast being best etc etc... Sheesh... I think I may go make my own thread about it but I am one that did try and felt like a failure and to be honest have been fighting depression over my BOOBS for two years. yeah...

Yeah, the "Breast-is-Best" militia fails to help mothers most in need. It's unfortunate. Like my SIL says, her baby is just fine on formula. I'm sorry that this is a sore spot. I wasn't posting to bring up painful memories for anybody, and I understand the issue at hand and am committed if/when I go to formula dismiss feelings that I have somehow failed my child.

THANKS!!! Yeah, it's actually not a good idea to go to bottle feeding formula. I am trying to avoid that adn that's why I'm posting. I want to ensure that my supply (breastpumped milk supply, that is) is on target with her bottle demand. And I am afraid that if I don't pump enough at work and she doesn't demand enough when I'm home, I'm going to end up with a discrepency.

SouthernGirl, when I said this, I wasn't meaning that it's not OK to bottle feed in general. I just meant that if you're trying to exclusively breastfeed, it's better to resist the first temptation to give her the bottle. I said this because someone suggested that I give her the bottle right away since her demands are high. I didn't want to do that because that defies the logic that it takes some time for mom's supply to respond to baby's demand. So that's the justification for my statement. I am not part of the Breast-is-Best militia. I have my opinions, but certainly want each woman to maker her own decision and have decided that mothers know best what their children need. And if they choose to formula feed, or if they are stuck with that option, that is the best option!

Oh my goodness! Don't feel bad about asking the question! I'm sure that's not what made her upset.

I applaud you for sticking to breastfeeding. It has been shown over and over that it does help mom and baby the most.

But I understand...it really is discouraging to not be able to breastfeed. Especially when you look something up about formula and it says "breast is best" and you know you couldn't do it for your kid no matter how hard you tried. I have done everything for my little one and it was absolutely heartbreaking to have to give up breastfeeding. But I did. And he's fine. He's gaining weight, smart, blah blah blah. But still. It would be nice to be able to breastfeed.

Anyways, I think the thread just got a little off-track. You were asking a specific question about breastfeeding. Not about whether you should supplement or not. I think it's awesome that you are breastfeeding and it's going well for you...it must be so hard to juggle work and pumping and leaky boobs. But good job momma!

You're so sweet. Yeah, I don't fight leaking boobs, or engorgement often. I think my boobs responded quickly at first but due to variations in her demand, they learned not to respond so quickly and to sort of average the demand. But nonetheless, I feel good not to have to fight that. I does take some time to pump though. Sometimes, I can get 2 ounces in 20 minutes, sometimes 4-6, and sometimes, 1-2. It totally varies based on when she last ate. I wish I could just drain them sometimes (quickly). HA!!!

Anyway, thanks again!!!

(((((((HUGS))))))))

Dont feel bad hon! I truly do wish you all the very best!

I am sorry and should apologize. I should not have posted anything negative on your thread.

As for if you should give her a bottle right now, I would say no. I think it would be better if you save all hte pumped milk for future use or if you want to let your Mr or a babysitter feed it because you cant.

Archived