Does money override good judgment?

I recently posted here about two interviews I'd have this week for separate interviews.

In a nutshell, I had the first one today, which is a good entry level part-time job for gaining experience in my field. However, the pay is extremely low! So low, in fact, that it's 47% lower than what I was making at the internship I completed in March.

The second one is scheduled for Friday. Although it's not as closely related to my desired area of marketing (research) because it's more sales-based, the pay is great. It's the same pay I had in an internship I recently finished plus commission (if I get qualified leads for the company).

If the first place calls me to offer me the job, I'm very inclined to accept, but at the same time, I feel I'm worth so much more than $8/hr. Not only do I have marketing/advertising internship experience (in one of the biggest ad agencies in the world, I might add) and experience as a sales clerk, but I have a 3.95 GPA and a member of several honor societies. It seems as if I'm flat-out overqualified for this position because they were looking for a junior (I'm a senior) with a 2.7 GPA and not necessarily any experience.

I figured that since the first one is only 2 months, I could just take the low pay cut for those weeks and gain good experience in the process. But it's really hard to go that route even for 2 months, as I'm mindful of the fact that my g/f and friends will be making more than I am without half of my credentials/qualifications.

The second position is 6 months to one year, but again, I think I'm deserving of that pay. It's not related to research but at least I know I could always leave the position within 5 months or so and get something in research later on (that will pay more).

It feels like this: If I take the first low-paying job, I know that the company is getting away with robbery in terms of getting someone who is probably overqualified and paying very little for it. If I get the second one I'm happy with the money but not getting any experience in research (with surveys, etc) which is what I want my career to focus on, although what I learn there will come in handy as well in different ways (raising product awareness, dealing with potential customers, building business, etc.)

Do you think that money is overriding my good sense here? Any suggestions?

While it's nice to get experience in your field, I wonder how much a two month job will add to your resume anyway. You are thinking of the second job as being outside of your field, but you might think of it as expanding your field instead since sales is so closely related to marketing.

I would go for the second job ... it lasts longer and pays much better!!!

Zack.

everyone always goes for the more money, lives OK for a while but ends up in the same place they were before because they increase their lifestyle habits to fit their new income.

The only difference is, they're not happy in their job and end up switching or moving around anyway.

I say, go for the job you're qualified for, experienced in and work your way up to the good pay in the field and career you want to be in.

Its free advice so take it for what its worth...

How much is that 2 month job going to add to your resume? if it is a presitigious "internship" of sorts and you will make very good contacts and references in your field, then perhaps the 2 months of barely-minimum wage will be worth it?

if you were a single father, struggling to make ends meet, then I would tell you to consider the higher paying job.... however, if you are a young college student, and this is a "launching pad" for your career of sorts, then I think the "indentured servitude" is worth it.

Thanks for your replies thus far. Honestly, I really want to pick the low-paying one if it's offered to me, but I still think that $8/hr is just so drastically low. I tried to negotiate with them for $10/hr, but they said that since it's the first time they do something like this with the university's career services department, they're taking things slowly and do it this way. Another perk that comes with the low-paying one is that they offer 1 or 2 school credits upon completion of the internship. This is a perk that might be nice for someone who has 2 years left to go, but I only have 2 semesters left and I've already taken all of my electives. The extra credit(s) are unnecessary in my situation. It makes sense they specified in the ad that they were looking for a "Junior" whereas I'm really a senior that's soon to graduate.

The bottom line is this guys: It's not easy to turn down that nice hefty salary that the second one is offering. I'm still going to go to the interview on Friday. Who knows, it might just turn out that I don't like the job at all and then I'll hope for the first one. But it might also be that I love the atmosphere, responsibilities, etc and will want to work there. That remains to be seen. I worked at my last internship for 14 months and made $15/hr. Maybe I'm so used to that that making $8 now seems almost unfair.

well, which one will take you to your ultimate career goal first? I have been in that situation too, where I have turned down a well-paying job in college that was not in my field, to get an unpaid internship in my field. I think you shouldn't underestimate the value of making contacts and having glowing letters of refence from those who are influential in your field.

I know a person who graduated and got half a dozen job offers and wound up taking the lowest paying one. ($40,000 vs. $90,000) because it was the most presitigous of the offers (famous boss) and it is a job that only lasts a few years, so she will be in a better position a few years from now and have some very good work experience. I bet she will be able to go back to the place that offered the $90,000 salary and insist on starting at $110,000 in a few years.

If you will get a good name on your resume and this internship will be

"recognized" by those who matter in your field, I would go for it. One of the internships I did - they paid my public transportation costs that was it - when I was a teenager - was integral in getting me into a good graduate school and also gave me exposure beyond my dreams. Another internship I did in college also had a similar impact and I was paid $2,000 stipend for the summer.

The low-paying one is for a small bank - one that is certainly not as well known as the big boys (WaMu, Bank of America, Wachovia, etc). Anyhow, the point is that I think it would be good experience in helping me get my feet wet in research, with surveys, coding responses, etc. That's not something I'll be doing in the high-paying one. There it's more like a business development person.

Hi -

If you will get a good name on your resume and this internship will be

"recognized" by those who matter in your field, I would go for it.

I agree with Batya. Too many people lack the foresight of what a job means in the grand scheme of things that they chase after what is utterly meaningless for the immediate future: pay/salary.

I know, at first glance it seems counter-intuitive. Your objective with getting a job should be to be adequately compensated right?

But what about after this role? Where will it take you? A measly raise? A promotion? A great name on a resume? What sort of contacts will you make? What responsibilities will you be entrusted with? What kind of exposure will you get? What are your exit opportunities?

In my opinion, the answers to these questions can have greater weight than what your immediate pay/salary will be, including benefits.

Archived